Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUS tour - west & midwest states, 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: US tour - west & midwest states, 2014
    Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 10:55am
If you can squeeze in a couple of days near Fossil Butte, camp in Ashley National Forest in the Uinta Mountains. Beautiful. That's our backyard.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
Thinker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by GrandPod

Doug
If your going to visit that many National Parks and Monuments you should get an Annual Pass; cost $80.00; good for 1 year and allows you and anyone traveling with you in a private vehicle access to all NP; Monuments; BLM; Forestry service plus other sites. Does not cover places
such as parking garages ( Mount Rushmore; Hoover Dam just to mention a few).Does not cover camping fees just entrance fees. All of these NP have entrance fee and will add up $80 very fast if you don't have a pass; Just show your pass each time you enter.
In 2012 we took 10 weeks and covered most of the place you mention from your summer trip and this one covered over 12000 miles; and 22 states.
Tom

If you are eligible for the Golden pass, get it. It is permanent and cheap.

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 9:41pm

Thanks, yes, we planned on purchasing the annual pass at the first park.   

I need to get moving on a few repairs/improvements.  Get the fridge fixed, test the A/C once it gets hot again, new battery, possibly new tires, pack bearings, additional transmission cooler, and figure out how to extend the run-time of my generator.  Cheap and easy.... right.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 7:41am
tech:  just curious, how are you able to cover all that in 28 days  and really enjoy?  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 1:04pm
It helps that so much of it is close together.   95% of the stuff - about 18 days of the 25 - is within a 3000 mile loop starting in Denver.  An average of only about 3 hours of driving each of those days.  3 times we'll stay at the same campground for 2 nights so we can do day trips, and we'll stay at Yellowstone for 3 nights.  There are 8 nights (most of the way out and back) where we'll stay at a truck stop to save time (and a little money).  Some of the sights only need an hour or two so we can fit in several things in one day.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 1:41pm
Doug, I know this is a total noob question, but does it cost anything to overnight at a truckstop? Do you park between the "big rigs"? Are some better than others? Do they make fun of you? ;)
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 8:48pm
Actually there are several places that are ok with RVs overnight - Cracker Barrel, most Wal-Marts, truck stops. There is a camping store I can't think of right now which apparently has a breakfast buffet.  Nobody laughs, lol.

There is no charge to stay at these places but the unwritten rule is you should buy something from them. Not hard to do, I always fill up with gas at the truck stops and we always seem to need something from Wal-Mart. Haven't done Cracker Barrel but I would certainly get breakfast if we did.

Two more rules. Always ask the manager, and never make it look like you are camping - no chairs, no awnings, if possible keep slide-outs in. Running a generator is fine, just don't use a cheap contractor screamer. We always look up the number for the next Wal-Mart and call ahead. Some cities have made it illegal to stay in any parking lot so there are some Wal-Marts where they'll tell you no. If they say yes we ask where they want us, usually it is around back or on the sides. While I fill up gas at a truck stop my wife will go in and ask if we can stay and where they want us (pointing out our camper so they see we are buying their gas). They usually do NOT want you to take up a truck bay and will point to a corner of the parking lot. I prefer that anyway since that gets you away from the diesel fumes. No reason to call ahead since they are always in locations where it is legal, obviously. I would call ahead to the other places like Cracker Barrel.

We prefer truck stops over Wal-Mart. We've had a few experiences with locals - they know the RVs are there every night and like to mess around or worse, if there isn't overnight security (some have it). We've had a car do a burnout down the line of RVs at 3 am, kids checking things out a little too closely, etc. Locals will not mess with truckers if they value their life and the trucks are moving through all night - lots of eyeballs keeping watch - so that is our preferred stop.
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 2:16am
Looks like a great trip. You'll definitely need the AC in the Badlands!   Look forward to your post-report. We want to do the Southwest at some point, when the kids are a bit older and can hike further in the heat.

I second the New Belgium beers. At the very least, pick up a case of the seasonal mix at a liquor store in CO. A nice cold beer after a day of adventuring will be welcome:) and the Moose Drool from Montana - pick some up in West Yellowstone. Oh, and the Wyoming Whiskey isn't bad either - bourbon in Wyoming all local. Tasty.
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
sammycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 10:18pm
I've gotta second Grandpod's suggestion of Custer State Park; and Mount Rushmore is even sweeter if you do Needles Highway beforehand. You get a series of peeks at the Monument. It's like foreplay.

Sam
2012 rPod 173
2008 Trailblazer 4WD V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 12:31pm
lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>