Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWyoming/Montana ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wyoming/Montana ideas
    Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 2:30am
We have about 10-12 days to explore parts of WY and MT. We've seen the highlights in WY and spent time last summer in Central Wy and have seen the Custer and Lewis and Clark signts in Eastern MT. We're passing through Vernal to see the Dinosaur Monument on the way out to Ft. Collins and plan to loop back north and west. Debating the Wind River area and Flaming Gorge or the Big Horn mountains and Southwestern Montana gold country. Any suggestions would be great. We would like to find water access if possible for swimming and keeping the kids cool, but my love of historical sights has me torn in my planning. A bit of hiking is fine, too. We're saving Glacier and NW Montana for another trip with WA/OR.

I know someone has a hidden gem!
Kristy
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 1:05pm
We're in Green River, WY (right off of I-80), about 20 minutes from Flaming Gorge Reservoir. Flaming Gorge stretches about 60 miles along 435. At Flaming Gorge there are lots of areas to boondock right on the water, if that's what you'd like. They have dump stations in the area. They also have a couple of park service campgrounds. One that is really nice is called Lucerne. It has hook-ups, each site has wind guards (that tells you something), is right on the Gorge, and there is a really nice little cove called Swimming Beach with a fairly large, rough sandy beach that the kids would love (burrr). That one is very close to Manila, UT (10 minutes) right on the WY/UT border. Beyond Manila are the Uinta Mountains. If you take 191 (that leads to Vernal) you will have access to some of the most beautiful campgrounds you can imagine all along the way. Our favorite area to boondock is on the Deep Creek turn-off. It's right off of 191, and you can go back as far as you like. There are large, grassy areas with NO people, and it's within 5 to 10 minutes drive from the main road and with more stars than you can imagine in the night sky!!! We never camp as far as the Deep Creek Campground because it's pretty far in, and the roads are rough, curvy and narrow - slow going but very beautiful. There is a wonderful lodge called Red Canyon Lodge just 10 miles from Deep Creek turn-off on 191. They have great food, a small lake where you can rent paddle boats or fish, outdoor dining and lots of humming birds. Wonderful setting. For that matter, there is a forest service campground there called Greens Lake. Both Red Canyon Lodge and Deep Creek are in Utah but only about an hour from Flaming Gorge. Red Canyon Overlook is a must-see. If you were to stay at Lucerne, which is still in Wyoming, you're right on the Gorge and only about a fifteen minute drive to the Uintas. Lots of hiking, swimming, whatever you want. Sorry this is so long, but we LOVE this whole area for camping. I won't even go into all of the great places in the Wind River Range (Louie Lake, to name just one - and near a ghost town - South Pass)!!!   
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 3:57pm
Just in case you are interested in my long ramble and look on a map, I gave you the wrong highway #. It's not 435, it's 530 out of Green River. Sorry.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 9:05pm
Thanks, guys!  Great food for thought.  I'll confer with the crew. We visited South Pass a few years ago - cool history.  We're conducting research for future retirement property (more than a decade away) and are scoping out all corners of Wyoming and northern Nevada (really near Tahoe). Want to find a corner of the world with outdoor activities and less people:)

Seems there are more water opportunities in your area than up north (swimming not fishing). But I must say, it was very peaceful up in the Big Horns!  Plan to check out the Medicine Bow range and Laramie as a future base for it's proximity to Ft. Collins and family. 

Thanks for all your thoughtful ideas. So many beautiful spots to explore!
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 12:28am
Back to the planning...any thoughts on Firehole Canyon or Buckboard campgrounds?  We thought we'd better get our reservations done as late July is prime camping season.  Lucerne still has spots, but didn't know if the other two had as easy access to swimming from the campsite.  We're not averse to driving to a remote spot, opening the tailgate and chillin'...
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
jkwoods View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 2:04pm
I live in SW Montana Gold Country.  There is ample Federal/State lands to camp on without any hookups.  Several KOA, etc.  If you are a history nut, try some of the Lewis and Clark Trail routes, they are signed and there are several good spots to check out.  Pompeys Pillar out of Billings is one of them that is incredible with an awesome intepretive site.  I live in Butte, MT and am partial to the Big Hole area, it's a great river for floating, fly fishing, etc,  and there are several campgrounds on the river, however, you won't have any hook ups and water isn't available at all of them.  I didn't catch when you plan to travel, but it's May 9th, and we're still getting snow!!!!  Gotta love spring in Montana!

I am new to podding as well, just got mine a 2011 172, tried it for the first time last weekend and am in love with it.  I pull it with my 2014 Subaru Outback.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 11:32pm
Welcome jkwoods, is that real gold like the stuff that you can pick up right out of the rivers? If that's the case then we need to visit your neck of the woods.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
jkwoods View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 9:32am
Yep, we have REAL gold in our hills, lots of recreational panners in the rivers!!!!
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 9:23am
Much history to be seen in your area! We visited Pompey's Pillar a few years ago on an Eastern MT/WYO and Black Hills adventure. This summer will be southern WYO after time with family in Ft. Collins. We hope to visit Glacier Nat'l Park on the same trip as the Montana gold country, probably next summer.

So much to see, so little time off from school!! We are teachers (I teach History) so our kids are 'tortured' with museums and historical sites every vacation. Poor babies! The eldest now realizes how lucky he is! Hiking and swimming usually take up some of our time, so camping destination that have water hole access are a must. Wonder if the fly fishers and gold planners would mind sharing their rivers:)
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 10:13am
My wife is a retired 8th grade history teacher and when our kids were small we went camping at some of the most out of the way places to check out the history. I will never forget the time we went to a small historical site and entered the "museum." We almost gave the Ranger a heart attack. He asked "where did you come from." Almost no one comes here. We dragged our kids to many historical sites over the years. Our most memorable visit was to Gettysburg. Fantastic. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>