Topic ClosedGoodbye my friend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goodbye my friend
    Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 9:46pm

I was a member of a backpacking forum for about 11 years.  It was the first forum I joined and after a few moments of thought gave birth to my username.  Tech - I'm always way ahead of the curve with technology and make a living from it.  Trek - I like road trips and hiking.  It had a long-running thread called "Goodbye my friend".  It was an ongoing therapy session for those that just lost a pet, sometimes a human friend.  Unfortunately that forum slowly died due to neglect from new owners and just 2 weeks ago it was shut down.  Also unfortunately, over the last few weeks we have watched the decline of one of our cats and tonight we had to make the decision to end her suffering.  So, this new thread is partially a goodbye to that forum, and partially a goodbye to Melon.

The forum was called Trail Talk, TT to those of us that hung out there.  It started in the late 90's and I believe I joined in March of 2003.  I went on many trips with those I met on the board, improved my equipment and techniques over time, and checked in often.  The founder sold it around 2008.  The new owners recruited several of us to act as moderators.  Things broke and the owners didn't fix them.  People drifted away to new avenues like Facebook and other forums.  Those of us that were left knew the end was near and 2 weeks ago it was gone without warning even to those of us that spent so much time running it without the owner's help.  A few of us emailed each other to lament.  Time moves on.

Eight years ago my wife went to a meeting at the local high school.  She came back with a cat.  She found the cat by the dumpster and it followed her into the cafeteria during the meeting.  Then it followed her to her car and hopped in.  We've had a lot of cats, but my wife is a dog person.  Cats choose their owner and this was the first one that chose my wife.  We live in the country and she lived up to the name we had given her by getting fat.  She had a good life here, but like several other cats we've had, last spring she developed kidney disease.  There are better treatments now - subcutaneous fluid therapy and dietary supplements which help a lot.  For Melon it actually reversed her blood chemistry counts to normal which is unusual, so I had hopes that she would make it a few more years.  The last 2 months made it obvious this coming summer would be her last in the sun on the back porch - a place she would stay all night on some warm nights.  The last month made it obvious she would be lucky to get some warm spring days on her favorite perch.  The last week we knew she would be lucky to see next month.  As she fought to stay warm in the garage this cold winter I went out and bought a heat lamp.  Some time under an electric sun, some extra scratches under the chin, and an expectation over the last few days that we would wake up to find her already gone.  But, she's always been a fighter.  A few years ago she was attacked so badly by a raccoon we - and later the vet - swore she must have been hit by a car.  It took a few weeks but she was back on that porch, and so she fought this week.  We've been fortunate that pets in the past have all gone quickly but yesterday we found ourselves discussing a decision we didn't want to make.  When she was still around this morning, and again this afternoon when we came home, we had to make that decision.  And so one of our children, my wife and I went to the vet this evening.  Even knowing this isn't the end, just a transition, it sucks.

Goodbye TT.  Goodbye Melon, I'll scratch your chin again in 40 years.

Time moves on.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 10:18pm
So sorry to hear of your loss. We are also pet lovers and have over the years had to put a pet down. Even now when I think of those times, it brings an ache to my heart. At least they are now out of pain and suffering, and it is just those who they leave behind, that have to get over the loss. Our thoughts are with you and your family. I am sure you all have great memories of your pet. Tomorrow is another day, and you all have to get it together again. The cliché, "Time heals all wounds," is what some will say, but the loss will take time to get over. Thanks for all that you do. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
bsea View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 10:25pm
Techntrek, I can feel your sadness in saying goodbye to a special pet. The memories and stories about that pet will last a lifetime. In my case, it is my dog, Emmie, who quickly became my dog even though it was my daughters who convinced me that they needed to have a dog. I was a cat person up to that point, but no longer. Emmie will always be missed and fondly remembered.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 6:04am
   Sorry about your sadness with your cat Melon. Pets are wonderful creatures but I was told things that are good come with a price, part of the price of having a wonderful pet in your life is at sometime we will need to say goodbye. But as has been said time heals and you will have the memories of Melon enjoying the warmth of the sun on your porch.    David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 6:04am
Sorry to hear of your loss, Tech. What a wonderful tribute to Melon. Pets have such a special place in our hearts that it leaves a void when they are gone. Melon may not be suffering anymore, but that does little to relieve yours right now. Take comfort in the fact that you provided a wonderful life for a cat that may not have had one otherwise. Feel blessed that she chose your family. Godspeed, Melon.
Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 7:12am
Although the piece below seems to be about dogs, I'm sure there are many cats there, too.

This has brought me some solace after the loss of a loved pet.  I hope Melon makes some new
friends while waiting for you.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm
Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 8:21am
Thanks, everyone.  I was ok until I started reading your responses.  :-)   All good!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 9:03am
See ya Melon. Take it easy.

Lucky was 23 when she told us it was time. I remember when she tried to jump in a chair, missed, laid down and looked at us. It was time. She was tired and didn't want to wake up to another IV injection. We all knew it.

Now we have Henry. He's got issues. I guess all cats have issues. His mental issues amuse us endlessly. His physical issues cost us a small fortune in special diets, medication and special Pod Mods so he can travel with us. Gawd, we love him.

See ya Melon. Take it easy.

You too, Trek.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 9:24am
I definitely feel your pain.

Memorial day last year, we had to cancel our camping trip, because our oldest golden, Dakota, (and the main reason for the furpod moniker) was not able to make it in or out of the house, let alone the campers or truck. We, and our vet were surprised he made it through the winter honestly. Dakota was 14. I would say the hardest decision we have ever made. 

No doubt our animals bond with us in a very real way.

Big dogs last camping trip..

headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 10:37am
Having to put down a beloved family dog last year, I know how you are feeling.  My condolences.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>