Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Transition from Pod - towing adventures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Transition from Pod - towing adventures
    Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 5:04pm
Some of you know we sold our Pod and bought a Jayco Feather 221. Dry weight about 4000#... We are under 5000# with the stuff.

We still tow with the Nissan Pathfinder. First time out was pretty bad.

We bought a WDH and the dealer installed it with the ball too high. We had a lot of sway on the 60 mile trip home. The next day I took the hitch apart and lowered the ball.

much much better, but still had a bit of sway. This was on the way to our shakedown campground about 50 miles away.

At the campground I made another change. I increased the rear tire cold air pressure to the max (44 PSI). This made a huge difference.

Now, it tows oh so sweet. The WDH has built in friction round bars to control sway also.

The trailer is nice, but not quite as nice as the pod in fit and finish. Big change for us is the queen walk around bed. We are too old to deal with the boxed in bed in the pod.

Second HUGE difference is the large dry bath. Other than that, Pod had more amenities (except for the electric roll out awning).

A very close friend really wanted the Pod and we are glad to see him have it. Not sure if I will change my photo or not... Pod was high on the cute factor scale.
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Pathfinder 4WD R-POD Model 171
danthoman View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 1:29pm
Glad you got everything worked out. The Jayco looks like a nice RV. I agree with you about the walk around bed. That and the micro bathroom are the only things I dislike about the pod. Of course I do get to crawl over the wife getting into bed.
Linda and Dan
Calley the golden retriever
R-pod 177 and a Tundra 8 cyl
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 6:00pm
 Thinker, we can relate to your experience in changing campers. With us too we found the fit and finish better with the r-pod, I have been busy working to change that. The full bath is a plus and as far as a walk around bed we have been sleeping apart my wife with the queen bed and I with the front dinette. I wake up much earlier than her. Our towing experience has been good so far with trailer unloaded. Hope to go camping in a couple of weeks will find out how it tows loaded. The interior floor space is 41" longer and 1 1/2" wider than the 171 r-pod we had, the extra room is nice to have. I miss the r-pod my wife does not so you know who pushed for the change but I must say I am beginning to like the change.   David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply