R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere Spare?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where Spare?
    Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 11:36am
I'm thinking about a bike rack for back of pod - probably a Swagman XC.

Where to put the spare?

I've seen numerous tounge related spare mounts, but I'm wondering if anyone has considered a roof mount for spare. You see off-roaders use these all the time:

Seems like a pretty easy solution if you already have roof racks. Opinions?

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 2:06pm
I assme you are talking about the roof of the TV, not the POD ?? If so, it should be fine if you can lift the tire up there. You'll like the Swagman XC. I've had both the XCS2 and the XC2RV. They're the same basic design, just different mountings. I now have the XC2RV on the back of my Camplite.

The only consideration on the RPOD is weight. Note that you would need the XC2 for the 1.25 inch receiver, and it provides a few inches of rise which is very helpful.But it is heavier than the FR recommended rack, which is very light, and the bumper/receiver combo is very light duty. I also had that one and it worked fine on the bumper, with the spare moved to the tongue.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 3:15pm
Yep, Charlie, the TV for cargo rack. There is a question of drag and/or noise, but may not be a big issue.

I trudged through the ice and snow this morning to have a look (ughhhhh!) and I'm just not sure there is enough room between battery tray and the WDH for a bolt on solution like:

I'm pretty sure the FR "approved" bike rack is:

But, I really do like the design of the Swagman:

As far as weight goes, the Swagman comes in @ about 30# and the Highland @ about 17#. Our Raleigh Hybrids are about 30# I think. Just from looking at pictures, I'm guessing the torque (leverage - distance from hitch) of both are about the same. So, it looks like I'd be looking and a difference of 90# vs 76# vs. whatever the spare w/mount weighs (albeit, less torque).  Just looking at the design difference, I'm thinking there might be less impact load on the hitch with the Swagman than there would be with the Highland.

Another cold, snowy day pining for some podding....

fred

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 4:32pm
Why not go with a roof mount bike rack? The bikes will be easier to load up there, among other things. I don't know about yours, but our bikes weigh less than the pods spare tire.And I like being able to see where and how my bikes are..
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 4:46pm
Hey furpod. I was thinking it would be a lot tougher to get bikes on/off roof than the Swagman tray mount. I might be wrong - never tried it. I guess the other concern would be drag?

Still trying to figure if carrying anything on TV roof is significant relative to the parachute that is the pod?

fred
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 5:30pm
We have been carrying singles and tandems on the roof for 30 years.. I havn't noticed a difference in mpg with or without when hooked to the pod.. 
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 6:07pm
Wow! You got a 30 year old Pod!? ;) Just kidding.

Really, that's a great data point. I suspected carrying roof rack stuff wouldn't hurt mpg when dragging pod and even suspect carrying something like kayak or canoe might even help.

Thanks!

fred
Jdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 8:10pm
I just put the spare in the storage in the rpod itself. 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by fwunder

Wow! You got a 30 year old Pod!? ;) Just kidding.

Really, that's a great data point. I suspected carrying roof rack stuff wouldn't hurt mpg when dragging pod and even suspect carrying something like kayak or canoe might even help.

Thanks!

fred

No, but we do have a 35 year old Airstream..
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by fwunder

Yep, Charlie, the TV for cargo rack. There is a question of drag and/or noise, but may not be a big issue.

I trudged through the ice and snow this morning to have a look (ughhhhh!) and I'm just not sure there is enough room between battery tray and the WDH for a bolt on solution like:

I'm pretty sure the FR "approved" bike rack is:

But, I really do like the design of the Swagman:

As far as weight goes, the Swagman comes in @ about 30# and the Highland @ about 17#. Our Raleigh Hybrids are about 30# I think. Just from looking at pictures, I'm guessing the torque (leverage - distance from hitch) of both are about the same. So, it looks like I'd be looking and a difference of 90# vs 76# vs. whatever the spare w/mount weighs (albeit, less torque).  Just looking at the design difference, I'm thinking there might be less impact load on the hitch with the Swagman than there would be with the Highland.

Another cold, snowy day pining for some podding....

fred

Fred,

Can't help on the noise or drag re the roof carrier since I have no experience there. However, I can't imagine the parachute growing much. That POD's pretty big back there!

You're correct on the Highland carrier. It's only claim to fame is weight. It's a lot harder to load and secure compared to the Swagman. You'd really like the Swagman. It's really secure and clamps the bikes very securely. And I think you will be OK on the weight/torque on the bumper. The only caution I would look at is the ground clearance at the lowest point on the bikes. A consideration when entering steep drives or gas stations.  FYI here's how I moved the spare to the tongue. The tire mounts parallel to the tongue A frame member. It worked fine until I decided to move the bikes to the back of the TV for other reasons. Then the tire went back to the bumper. However, maybe you can get some ideas :

http://rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3132&KW=tire+tongue&PID=29715&title=tongue-mounted-spare-tire-on-172#29715

As for bikes on the TV roof, I'm too old to lift them up there, especially with the higher SUVs and PUs.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>