R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBack-Up Camera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back-Up Camera
    Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 12:44pm
With my past SUVs, I would lower the back seat and open the rear hatch to get a view of both my hitch ball and the pod's coupler.  Aligning the ball and coupler was very simple.  Now, with a full-size pickup, I have lost that line of sight when trying to alight everything for hitching up.  I have read many reports on wireless back up cameras and monitors, but most are either too expensive or perform poorly.  Does anyone have any positive experience with an affordable wireless system?  It must be wireless.

I might add that through the years I have had relatively good success with the "tennis ball" alignment devices that affix magnetically to the top of the ball and the top of the coupler.  Now I want to go a little more high tech. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 1:29pm
Bob,

This won't totally answer you question, but here's my experience. First, and fortunately, all my TVs have cameras built in so my need was for a rear view camera on the trailer while driving. I first installed a wireless system from http://www.rearviewsafety.com/. Performance was fair but, even though they advertised digital, it was really analog so it was susceptible to interference from outside sources, cell phones, and BlueTooth devices. However it was about $300, had a 7" monitor, and worked from the rear of the pod. RVS has a cheaper wireless system designed for your application that has a 3.5" monitor and probably will work OK. When I upgraded to my present Camplite 21 and Tacoma TV the RVS system became unusable. Just too much whizbang electronics in the new truck for continuous operation, but it probably would have been OK for hitching. My cell phone and BlueTooth devices were too much for the analog technology.

My new setup includes a Voyager system that is true digital, probably CDMA like BlueTooth, and works very  well. And it's very expensive! But, again, we use it while driving to watch the highway and traffic recede behind us. Makes my wife very comfortable and that makes me very comfortable! Tongue
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 5:46pm
Charlie, thanks for the detailed response.  My last Class A motor home had a full-time night vision rear view camera that worked great, but it was designed to show areas farther behind than the rear bumper of the motor home.  My tow vehicles have had back-up cameras integrated with the navigation systems, but they, also, can not give me a view of my hitch ball. 

I have been studying the iBall wireless trailer hitch camera, which can be magnetically mounted on the back of the TV for hitching up, and later on the back of the trailer for manuvering into a campsite or backing up in general.  Some reports indicate that as you mentioned, it is sometimes prone to interference from Blue Tooth devices and other sources.  Our cell phones, On Star, navigation system, etc. may all be possible sources of interference.  For this reason, I am hoping that one or more members are using a system that is not compromised by such interference.  Maybe such an animal does not exist.

My magnetic shafts with the tennis balls works reasonably well, and I can line up ball and coupler with surprising accuracy, but I was hoping there might be a higher tech, but relatively inexpensive, alternative to the tennis balls.

Thanks again, Charlie.

Bob

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 6:11pm
Ah yes. "Relatively inexpensive". An unrecognized term in high tech solutions, even when fabricated from Chinium. Big smile
Charlie
Northern Colorado
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 8:53pm
You are absolutely right.  When it comes to my photographic and computer equipment, the costs are unbelievably high.  For a back-up camera, I would not be so extravagant.  Maybe "less extravagant" is a better term than "relatively inexpensive."
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 10:32pm
I have an I Baller, I think I paid about 100 bucks about 2 years ago, it works quite well but still takes a little practice as the camera flips the frame and everything is backwards, just like looking into a security camera when you move left the image moves right. its a pretty good little system. If you want you can stick it on the back of the pod and watch as you back into a camping spot.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 12:01am
The iBall is the unit that caught my eye until I read several of the reviews.  The only problem noted was interference caused by Blue Tooth devices, as Charlie warned.  My Avalanche has 3 Blue Tooth devices and we carry 2 smartphones that are also Blue Tooth.  After much thought, I am still tempted to try an iBall.  They retail for $149.95, with refurbished ones available for $134.95.  I purchase most of my electronic equipment and cameras that are refurbished and have had excellent success with them.  iBall has a promo code for $15.00 off, so a refurbished unit would only be $120 w/free shipping.  Unless I hear worse reports, I plan to purchase one, only for the task of hitching up my pod and for backing it into camping sites.  Another good feature is that it is completely portable.

Thanks, dsmiths.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 7:48am
Bob,

Looks like you are zeroing in on the iBall. There are a few others in the same price range  also available from Amazon in case you haven't seen them. I haven't checked the specs other than they both have 3.5" monitors. Of course they all operate in the no mans land of 2.4GHz, probably analog for the price. For short hitching exercises the Blue Tooth problem can be managed. Not selling anything; just trying to help you get rid of that extra cash. Wink

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/wireless-systems/hitch-camera-reversing-system.html

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-50002-Smart-Camera-System/dp/B00CTLGSZO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=19V9X0Y2QY38MPM0QZ7N

Charlie
Northern Colorado
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 2:34pm
dsmiths, I notice that the new model is switchable between normal and mirror image.  
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Dave NE TX View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 3:27pm
Looking at the Yada BR53328F-1.   My TV has a backup camera but I was thinking about one of these for the back of the pod.  I'm more concerned about my driveway than I am camping areas, but it might be nice to be able to switch it on using the tail light circuit to get a better look at what's behind me on the road.  Anybody have any experience with this camera? 

Dave and Cindy
RP179
2010 ML350
1 Schnauzer, 1 "Pound Puppy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>