R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBack-Up Camera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back-Up Camera
    Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 4:21pm
Just a quick update on my possible choices for a back-up camera for my pick-up. I do have a navigation system with a back-up camera, but the camera does not show my trailer hitch ball.  My fist choice was the wireless iBall, which seems like a great system and is versatile in that the camera is magnetic and can be mounted on the back of the truck for hitching up, and later it can be mounted on the rear of the pod for backing up.  I am sometimes forgetful, and eventually I know I would forget to remove the camera and run the possibility of losing it while on the road.

Right now I am leaning toward the wired Smart Hitch by Hopkins.  It sells almost everywhere for $149, but etrailer has it for $119.  Wiring the monitor is somewhat exacting, but I believe it is worth the extra effort.  This unit is switchable, with settings for hitching up and one for use as a true back up camera.  I still have a few details to work out on my truck, but this is now my unit of choice.

If anyone has a better idea, your comments will be appreciated.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 7:39pm
Something really simple to try - since you already have the backup camera, maybe mounting a small mirror at a 45 degree angle pointed towards the ball would allow you to see it?  It might require using a magnifying mirror to allow you to see anything with the camera's fish eye lens. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 8:30pm
When I bought the Avalanche, my first thought was to mount a removable mirror on the trailer tongue, angled to see both the coupler and the hitch ball.  After assessing the hassles involved in mounting, aiming and storing the mirror, I abandoned that idea.  Your suggestion seems to have more merit, but some of the same problems would still be there.

My "tennis balls" on shafts with magnetic bases work well, but I still prefer a higher tech solution such as the Smart Hitch camera which requires no setup and does not need to be stored.  It also has built-in sensors which assist in backing up and parallel parking. 

I may try your mirror suggestion this weekend, if the height of the camera beam will allow it to work.

My last TV also had a backup camera that shared the navigation system monitor.  It, too, was mounted high and was worthless when lining up with a trailer.  Everything becomes more difficult as you age.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 12:46pm
My TV doesn't have a backup camera and with its length I really need to get one.  If you do buy the Smart Hitch I'll be curious how it works out. 
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 1:50pm
Doug, the Smart Hitch is still my hitch of choice.  I have not ordered one yet only because I can't find a suitable dash location to mount the monitor without having exposed wires.  Your Suburban and my Avalanche should have similar dash configurations.  Any suggestions?  I don't want to mount it on the windshield or disfigure my dash. 

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 4:02pm
They should be the same, I'll take a look but I probably won't be in my truck until Monday. 
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 4:58pm
On my TV, there is a flat area on the dash immediately right of the gear shift lever.  I don't know the thickness of the monitor, but if it fits, this may be my mounting location of choice. There are a few other areas that might also work without drilling any holes in the dash.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 6:53pm
I remembered as I was pulling into the parking lot at work but then got distracted as I was backing in.  Embarrassed  I'll try to remember tomorrow.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 4:14pm
I looked at mine this morning and to the right of the shifter there was almost no room before hitting the center console stack.  What little room there is, is covered by the shifter.  The only "good" places that I could see are on top of the dash to the left and right.  Down low on the left is open but it would be hard to see and it would get kicked all the time.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 10:51pm
A quick update on the Smart Hitch backup camera system.  I finally bought one and find the performance is flawless, but found one installation problem.  In Florida (and I imagine several other states) the license plate tag being the expiration date is in the upper right hand corner of the plate.  When the bracket housing the camera and sensors is installed, it almost completely covers the tag, hiding the registration expiration date.  I have emailed the company, requesting a solution to the problem and should have their response within the next few days.  My plate is sandwiched between the rear bumper and the tailgate, so I can't imagine a satisfactory solution from them.  Something to think about if you are considering purchasing the Smart Hitch.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>