R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: electric brake controller and weight distribution
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedelectric brake controller and weight distribution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: electric brake controller and weight distribution
    Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 6:24pm
We bought a new Honda Pilot and need to install an electric brake controller. We forgot to remove the one from our old Sienna Ouch . Oh well. Any advice on the best type to install?

Also, the owner's manual says "A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with our vehicle" as it might reduce handling, stability and braking performance. We used weight distributing bars with the Sienna - didn't even think to check the manual for that. It made the hitch extremely heavy. We also use a sway bar. Does any one have any advice about the load leveler set up? Is it important for towing the pod, over-kill, or.....?  It would sure be nice to have a new lighter hitch if we don't need it! Old backs like lighter weights!
Thanks for any suggestions and advice!

Carol
177 HRE rpod
2014 Honda Pilot
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 7:04pm
Carol,

My thoughts from my personal experience: From my signature you will see I had an RP-172 and a 2010
4WD Pilot. I used the Tekonsha P3 brake controller and liked it so much I moved it to my new rig. The digital P3 is a great improvement over the older analog Tekonsha units. I mounted the P3 in the small open compartment below the radio where it was out of the way and easily accessible. Worked great.

I also used an E2 WDH that included sway control. I believe all small and mid sized TVs benefit from WDH and sway control. Definitely smooths out the ride. I also moved the E2 to my new rig and wouldn't be without it. I interpret Honda's non-recommendation re WDH as meaning an improperly adjusted WDH can be problematic. I can attest to this from personal experience. Don't trust a dealer who is in a hurry to complete a deal or installation. Take the time to read and understand the hitch adjustment procedure and set your hitch up safely and correctly.

A properly adjusted brake controller and WDH will make towing a breeze. You won't even know the Pod is back there...unless you watch the gas gauge Smile
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 1:56pm
Thanks for the recommendations! Now we just have to find someone nearby who carries and can install the controller! Seems like the local places don't have consistently good reviews.  We'll probably keep the WDH and sway bar we have now, unless we can find one with a lot lighter hitch arrangement. 
Thanks again!
Carol
Carol
177 HRE rpod
2014 Honda Pilot
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 3:47pm
Sounds like a plan.......Maybe even a good one Smile.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
CO_PILOT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 5:01pm

Our Tow Vehicle is a 2012 Honda Pilot (18" wheels stock) on a 2014 R-Pod 178.  As you can see in the pic below it is perfectly level with a 3" drop hitch insert.

Using a Prodigy P2 electric brake controller and the Honda 7-way hitch harness.

I all works great together and no anti-sway bars are needed.

Dan

2014 R-Pod 178 -- 2012 Honda Pilot

Roadwise Wisdom for both Bikers and Froggers alike:
http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html
 Post Reply Post Reply