Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGENERATOR - Event Date: 27 Feb 2014 - 27 Apr 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: GENERATOR
    Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 7:57pm
oh boy.............i think this calls for an black label brew!!!!!!!!!!!  
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 8:03pm

Yes, the proper way to do it is with a transfer switch and a L14-30 120/240 socket under cover outside.  That said, AS LONG AS THE MAIN UTILITY BREAKER IS THE FIRST THING YOU TURN OFF... and ... YOU UNDERSTAND USING A MALE-MALE CORD CAN BE DANGEROUS, then it is a functional way to do it.

All-caps "yelling" intentional and definitely for emphasis.  You can kill a lineman, you can kill yourself, as Keith said.  Nuf said. 

As for hooking up a 120 volt genset to a 120/240 panel, like the 2nd option above, it can be done but isn't recommended.  You MUST be sure you don't have multi-branch circuits and if you do they must be turned off (if you don't know how to figure out if you have any MWB circuits, then stop now).  You MUST turn off all 240 volt loads, too, or you'll possibly burn it out.  The next door neighbor of a friend of mine did that to his well pump during a recent ice storm.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by marwayne

Let me confuse the subject a little more, as I remember from my younger years in Germany regular power is 220 or 240 volts the high voltage is 340 or 360 volts

They also run 50 cycles.. Smile  dark side of the moon never sounded so sad...
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 10:47pm

Doug,

To your first point on wiring a generator into a dryer socket I completely agree. Very dangerous with the two male connectors. And, in addition to the potential danger to repairing linemen, you could be trying to power up the whole neighborhood with your little generator. Early on I used such a setup, although wired into the panel and not a dryer plug, but I soon changed my mode of operation. I didn’t want to rely on my memory to turn off the main breaker in the excitement of a storm. Transfer switches are not that expensive. Now you can get a transfer panel that has the large main breaker mechanically interlocked with a smaller breaker that just connects the generator. Much cheaper than my first 600 amp outdoor rated switch. Really a large DPDT knife switch in a box with a handle.

On you second point about tying the two legs of the 240 service together, I was unaware of the multi-wire circuit thing. After reading I understand the potential issue, but I’m not sure how common it is. I understand you could have twice the rated current in the neutral conductor, but for small generators (2-3 KW) it would require almost all the generator output supplied to the two multi-wire circuits. However it could happen. Larger generators with 120/240 capability, of course, should be wired as true 240split phase installations. An excellent paper on multi-wire circuits is at:

http://www.homeinspector.org/resources/journals/Multiwire-Branch-Circuits.pdf

I don’t follow your point on turning off all 240V loads. With the two legs tied together there is no potential across 240V loads. They are supposed to be balanced loads by definition and not tied to the neutral/ground. That’s the beauty of tying the two together to a single 120V source: don’t have to switch off 240 heaters/ACs and they won’t overload the little putt-putt. Maybe I am unaware of some configuration where some part of a 240V device is tied to the neutral and will burn up if the other side is not tied to the other leg, but I can’t think of any. Please educate me.

And it seems we are deviating from the RPOD theme Smile.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 6:05am
deviating, yes but an interesting discussion for hogone.  again for piece of mind for myself, is it safe and free of danger/harm to plug in the pod to the 120/240 receptacle with the right adaptor as the ones mentioned by huron?  if this has been clearly answered, i apologize.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 8:11am
Originally posted by hogone

deviating, yes but an interesting discussion for hogone.  again for piece of mind for myself, is it safe and free of danger/harm to plug in the pod to the 120/240 receptacle with the right adaptor as the ones mentioned by huron?  if this has been clearly answered, i apologize.  hogone

Yes. as safe as any other electrical operation.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 8:12am
Charlie, I agree that we should get back to the original theme of the question.  If hogone only needs 120 VAC, why should he be worrying about purchasing an adapter.  He can just use the cord supplied with the genset and will end up with (4) 120 volt receptacles that can be used to plug in extension cords as needed.  On most gensets, he will have at least one 120 volt duplex outlet in addition to the one in question. 

I personally found the discussion on transfer switches and related items interesting, but we did stray from the original issue.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 8:18am
Charlie
Northern Colorado
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 8:28am
Originally posted by hogone

Yes Jon, it is safe. Your generator is overkill for the pod, but it will work. In an emergency you can also do as Sleepless Bob suggests if you don't mind leaving the pod door or window open for the cords. Simple, fast, and effective. Keep in mind that for extended power outages you need to keep household refrigeration on line. That's where your larger generator comes in. Get it wired properly to the house and it will do that plus run the pod.

And now, Bob, I return this forum to its regularly scheduled programming Big smile
Charlie
Northern Colorado
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 8:36am
charlie:  what do you mean leaving the pod door open for cords?  why would i need to do that if the pod is hooked up with its supplied cord to the gen?  sorry not trying to make this confusing.  i just want to say that i did not buy this gen for the pod, but for the house.  i was just brainstorming ideas just in case i wanted to hook up the pod for air conditioning purposes if a mid summer storm blew in and i would want a little air conditioning!  and i just figured hooking up the pod to the 120/240 slot and using the air would be more efficient and less strain than hooking up to a 120 receptacle on the gen.  hogone 
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>