R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrakes are hot...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brakes are hot...
    Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 8:03am
Time to get a second opinion. See a different Doctor....
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 12:13am
Brakes really aren't that complicated and they aren't supposed to smoke unless maybe you've been riding them down a long mountain descent.  Even their I threw in a "maybe". 

You say the brakes still heat up when the the trailer isn't hooked up electrically the towing vehicle?  No trailer brake lights, no trailer turn signals and no trailer brakes??  Then either the breakaway switch is pulled or there is something wrong with your brakes. 

If it only happens when the electrical hookup is connected to the tow vehicle, then several other options open up.

I'm a little surprised you can pull the pod if the brakes are getting that hot. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 11:43pm
Left dominate brake?????  Someone was blowing smoke!  Time to forget that dealer.

HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by rimshot

the left brake on the trailer does in fact get hotter since it’s the dominant brake. Huh?

Huh indeed. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 6:56pm
Rimshot, sounds to me you need to go to a different dealer cause it sounds like the one you are going to may be giving you the runaround. The brakes should not get hot unless you are using them a lot . I went through this with mine. Kinda hot or a little too hot does not seem to be a professional diagnostic term or fix. 

Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

rimshot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 4:18pm
Well I took it back in to the dealer and they had their brake “expert” check it out while hooked up to my truck. He said he checked both ends of the plugs and they were fine. He did say that the one knob on the left of the controller was out of adjustment. I think it’s the leveling knob? We took it out and they still got hot but not as hot. They said they’ve gone through it tooth and comb and can’t find anything wrong and that the left brake on the trailer does in fact get hotter since it’s the dominant brake. Huh? I drove home, took the long way, and they were still kind of hot. It didn’t get squirrely or lock up on me this time at least. I stopped at Les Schwab by my house and they said the drums do feel a little hot. I think I may take it for a short spin tomorrow without the plug in and stop by Les Schwab and see what they think then. If they’re hot then I guess I’ll contact the factory and see about exchanging it or taking it to a different shop. I’m about worn out from this crap.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 9:46pm
I have never had a brake problem. If you unplugged your t.v. and the drums got hot its as someone earlier said, its behind the hitch. is one side hotter than the other. if you jack up the pod and turn the wheel by hand does it drag or is it free. could you leave the t.v. hooked up and then try to turn the wheel while jacked up to see if there is a difference. something aint right.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
rimshot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 4:46pm
Well, what ever it is I hope they find it. Took it back again. Took it for a spin and in 3 miles the drums were way too hot to touch. Left it plug in for this trip and half way there the trailer would pull to the left when I hit the brakes. The right wheel is covered in brake dust now as well. I told them I want them to actually take the wheels off this time and check for any damage due to the heat and ask them to upgrade the controller and I'd pay the difference. He was sure it's not the controller though....We'll see
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 4:01pm
Lots of possibilities.  One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the breakaway system.  It could also be a short or crosscircuit somewhere.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by rimshot

The guys at the shop said it could be my TV. How could that be?  

Maybe they're thinking the trailer harness in your vehicle is wired wrong so it's constantly applying the brakes? Hmmm... Not likely, but possible I guess. Could the trailer be wired wrong? Maybe, but I've been to the factory and they check all the wiring with a diagnostic tool before it leaves the door. Could the dealership have attempted to repair some type of damage to the trailer's wiring harness and mucked it up? 

Your dealership's tow vehicle theory is easily checked with a voltmeter. Stick voltmeter probes in correct holes in connector, step on brakes. Theory confirmed or eliminated in seconds, bam. No need to find another tow vehicle.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>