R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSewer connections on R178

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sewer connections on R178
    Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 11:28am
Just purchased a new R178.  I'm trying to determine what the best sewer hose set up would be.

When camping using full hook ups, is it better to have one sewer hose and alternate between BT and GT as they become full?  Or is it better to have two constantly connected sewer hoses and a Y-adapter connected to the sewer drain?

Can anyone reflect on their own personal experiences with this?

Thanks!
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 12:17pm
The normal sequence is to empty and flush the black tank and hose, then move the hose to empty the grey water tank.  We then rinse the hose (using a Hydroflush) and by then your hose is about as clean as it is going to get.  The main thing to remember is to empty the black water tank first, then the grey.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Sleepless

The normal sequence is to empty and flush the black tank and hose, then move the hose to empty the grey water tank.  We then rinse the hose (using a Hydroflush) and by then your hose is about as clean as it is going to get.  The main thing to remember is to empty the black water tank first, then the grey.

So does that mean both tanks are closed until it's time to empty them?  How often do you connect a house and use the BT Flush feature?  Do you do that every time you empty?

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 1:21pm
Didn't realize the 178 had separate sewer connections, but here's the info. The suggestion from Sleepless is correct. Only one hose is required. Normally the gray tank will need emptying more frequently than the black. The black tank should be kept closed until it fills to about 75%. Then empty and close again. The last time it should be back flushed until clean. The gray tank can be emptied anytime, but it should be kept closed until about 75% to have enough water in the tank to flush the hose after emptying the black tank. The last time it's emptied the hose should be flushed with clean water before it's stored. Some campers leave the gray tank valve open and the hose connected while camping, but I don't recommend it. You can leave the hose connected to the gray fitting, but keep the valve closed until you are ready to empty the tank. An open valve is an invitation to an accident or to sewer fumes backing up into the camper if a vent sticks open. It happened to me Disapprove  
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Didn't realize the 178 had separate sewer connections, but here's the info. The suggestion from Sleepless is correct. Only one hose is required. Normally the gray tank will need emptying more frequently than the black. The black tank should be kept closed until it fills to about 75%. Then empty and close again. The last time it should be back flushed until clean. The gray tank can be emptied anytime, but it should be kept closed until about 75% to have enough water in the tank to flush the hose after emptying the black tank. The last time it's emptied the hose should be flushed with clean water before it's stored. Some campers leave the gray tank valve open and the hose connected while camping, but I don't recommend it. You can leave the hose connected to the gray fitting, but keep the valve closed until you are ready to empty the tank. An open valve is an invitation to an accident or to sewer fumes backing up into the camper if a vent sticks open. It happened to me Disapprove  

Thanks Sleepless and CharlieM!

I sincerely appreciate your help.

Cody91
Bubink View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 1:56pm
Glad I stumbled on this topic as we are in the midst of sewer hose debates/decisions. We bought the Valterra Dominator for our hose but have been reading good reviews about the Rhinoflex system. I know the Rhinoflex will fit in the black tube from D&C Inc but we would have to get the 60" one from them to accomodate the longer length we want. SO pros and cons of Rhinoflex vs Dominator?? New tube from D&C or make one from 4"-6" PVC? My goal is to have a tube that will store all the stuff associated with the sewer so need any input anybody can offer!! Thanks!
2014 178
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 2:02pm
I kept the hose carrier that came with my 178 but supplemented it with the 64" carrier that is now on sale at Camping World.  My decision to purchase the CW carrier was price-driven.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Bubink View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 2:16pm
Bob, what hose system do you use?? I could see getting the Rhino as it's supposed to fit in the one that comes with the camper and then get the supplemental tube to hold extensions. Is that what you do??
2014 178
Bred Flink View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 2:48pm
There's a posting with pictures on R-pod owners Facebook page, that details a Y joint drain setup for full service sites.
Essentially, it is both hookups jointed at a Y joint plumbing connector, which fits into the camp site's drain. The hoses are supported by rain gutters. Looks like a good setup.
Sailing and camping Western Canada and US-NW
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:06pm

An addition to what Charlie said, you don't have to keep the gray tank closed until it fills since it will fill in just a few showers and the black tank can last more than half a week.  I keep mine open until I know I'll need to dump the black tank, then close the gray tank to accumulate a morning's round of showers, then dump the black.  Leaving the black closed again and the gray open.

Edit: corrected

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>