R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRemoving top bunk and adding shelving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing top bunk and adding shelving
    Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 2:24pm
I took a look around and didn't find this specific topic...
What I would like to do is remove the top bunk and replace it with shelving that could hold plastic bins. Currently the top bunk is too low to let an adult sit in the bottom bunk so I would like to have the shelf sitting higher than where the top bunk is currently.
Has anyone done this type of mod? Can anyone suggest what material I should use? Any tips, tricks or warnings you can think of from similar mods?
Thanks!
Adam
2009 RP-152 (Cutie-Pod)
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
okiecamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 3:20pm
hey Zag, I took out the top bunk on my 172,  and used part of the bunk frame to make a shelf
from the bathroom wall across the bottom bunk to the front of the Pod.
it works great, didnt have to use anything but the material from the topbunk.

its just me  and so I didnt need the top bunk anyway. it was too close to the bottom bunk.

when storms in life come, learn to dance in the rain
Zag View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 9:03pm
@okiecamper.  Good to know it's been done before.

Do you have any pictures that you can share? I'm curious to know what types of screws you used or if you have any tips that you can share as I'm not particularly handy but am willing to try doing it on my own.

I started breaking down the top bunker and it looks pretty straight forward to re-size so I can raise it by 12" and use it as a narrow shelf.  It looks like they cut out the wall panel on the bathroom side to fit the frame; hopefully it's not like that all around.

My primary concern at this point is securing the shelf but based on other posts I'm assuming there will be something for the screw to grab into.

Adam

2009 RP-152 (Cutie-Pod)
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
okiecamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 8:32am
I just used the part of the bunk frame tht was behind the bath wall and kept it the same level as before so I didnt have to resize it .  I used the same screws and same screw holes and everything. Unless you want to raise it up you will have to cut it to size, because the width  gets smaller as the front wall rises up. this way it was pretty easy to do. I use it for setting a tv on it and storing clothes and bedding  when traveling. as you can see I used the side rail of the bunk for the front of the shelf.  Using the same materials made it alot easier. Hope this helps.

here are some photos

Phil

when storms in life come, learn to dance in the rain
Zag View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 7:57pm
Looks great okiecamper.  I see that they didn't cut into the wall skin all the way around which is nice. In my 152 the wall skin along side the bathroom wall was cut into (and it may be on yours as well by the pic).

Personally, as a family we need more storage space so I'll re use the material from the bunk but reduce it's depth so I can bring it up by 12" and still maintain a shelf across the width of the camper.

I'll take some pictures as I go and post it under this topic so people can see my (attempt) at handiwork.

Adam
2009 RP-152 (Cutie-Pod)
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply