R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedmatching wood finish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: matching wood finish
    Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 10:50am
I'm thinking about possibly doing some mods on my 178 and I was wondering if anyone has found a wood stain/finish that would match the interior of the new Rpods?

Thanks,

Cody
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 11:04am
About the closest out of the can on birch ply seems to be minwax English Chestnut.
cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 11:16am
Thanks Furpod!  I'll give that a try.  I was thinking about making a small shelf over the bed.  Do you think it's worth staining the wood covers underneath the bed just to seal the wood?
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 2:41pm
     My answer would be no in staining the wood covers unless your r-pod would be closed up in storage and there was a chance of mold. Never thought of that until someone else mentioned it. Was told that cypress was good less likely to get moldy or a musty smell. So sealing the wood for that reason would be a good idea. Our r-pod sat for long periods of time but would run the AC now and then to keep the humidity low. We never sealed the oak plywood under the seats or bed and there never was a problem.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 3:14pm
I wouldn't bother.. Or should say.. didn't. Wink

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 3:37pm
English Chestnut. Hmmm. Didn't try that. I did come real close making a mix of Special Walnut and Red Oak.
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by fwunder

English Chestnut. Hmmm. Didn't try that. I did come real close making a mix of Special Walnut and Red Oak.

Yep, that's what I ended up with for a custom mix. But the E.C. is close enough for most I would say.
IP POD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 7:30pm
I use Pecan Stain by Cabot.  Works perfectly.
I picked up this lead on this site a few years ago.  It matches so well that DW thinks a couple of my mods are OEM.
Glen
IP Pod
2013 177HRE
TV-2014 Grand Cherokee 5.7
"Hard Tellin' Not Knowin'
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 7:46pm
On the subject of humidity and mold.
Being a sailboat owner that lives in the rainy northwest, we have dealt with mold and mildew issues on the boat for years.  It's tough to keep humidity down when you are sitting in rain constantly. We have 80 to 90% relative humidity outside during the winter months.  Unheated areas will be about the same. We have prop-up all under seat/bed coverage areas, lift and prop-up all our cushions so there is airflow at all times and no areas for moisture to gather and get mildewy.
The same is good for a R-Pod, prop-up cushions/mattresses and open under seat areas to allow airflow.  A dehumidifier is a good thing too.  Simple heaters that sit on the floor just dry the air on the floor just allow the humidity to rise and condense on the cooler ceiling areas.  The best dehumidifier is one that actually functions as a dehumidifier and collects water that has to be drained.  

Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Boomertype

On the subject of humidity and mold.
Being a sailboat owner that lives in the rainy northwest, we have dealt with mold and mildew issues on the boat for years.  It's tough to keep humidity down when you are sitting in rain constantly. We have 80 to 90% relative humidity outside during the winter months.  Unheated areas will be about the same. We have prop-up all under seat/bed coverage areas, lift and prop-up all our cushions so there is airflow at all times and no areas for moisture to gather and get mildewy.
The same is good for a R-Pod, prop-up cushions/mattresses and open under seat areas to allow airflow.  A dehumidifier is a good thing too.  Simple heaters that sit on the floor just dry the air on the floor just allow the humidity to rise and condense on the cooler ceiling areas.  The best dehumidifier is one that actually functions as a dehumidifier and collects water that has to be drained.  

I do basically the same, but without a heater or electric dehumidifier.  One thing that works well here in Florida is DampRid or other similar product.  We keep an open container in the bathroom all year round.  I might note that we keep all windows and the roof vent closed to enhance the effectiveness of the DampRid.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply