Topic ClosedTow Vehicle Question - Event Date: 31 Mar 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tow Vehicle Question
    Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 4:27pm
Hi everyone!  I'm contemplating a move into the Pod Universe and have been reading this forum all weekend to learn as much as possible about these units.  We looked at a couple of them last week and were pretty close to pulling the trigger on a 179.  I pulled a 30 foot TT with slide for 15 years with a big block Suburban.  I always believed in having more than I needed when pulling, and I had it with that setup. I sold the trailer when we kept coming to same place in the Rockies.  So we now live there half the year.  Last summer we picked up an inexpensive, used Flagstaff pop-up and had a blast with it. We pulled it with a 2001 Cherokee.  This trailer had a wet weight of approx. 2000lbs and towed like it wasn't there...even with the old Cherokee.
We just bought a 2014 Jeep Cherokee (not a grand cherokee...just a cherokee) and the wife would like to find a small, hard sided trailer, so we looked at the Pod (One of our Colorado neighbors has one).  Here's my issue.  The 2014 Cherokee has AWD, a 3.2L engine with 9-speed gearbox with a paddle shift...and puts out 271HP with a tow rating of 4500.  When you look closer, it says the rating is 3500 for a travel trailer and 4500 for something low profile like a boat. Even though it has about 90 more ponies than the old Cherokee, I'm wondering if it will be huffing puffing pulling about 3500 lbs.
I know how my younger, trailer towing self would answer this question...what do you guys think?

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 5:06pm
Hi we have the Dodge Grand caravan with the 3.6L 283 horse power engine. We tow in the Green Mountains of Vermont, have towed in the Poconos in Pa and up and down the east coast. Have plenty of power for the hills and merging onto interstate highways. We usually get 13-14 towing out of Vermont heading south and 14-16.5 once we hit Massachusetts and south.
I had previously towed with an older caravan with the 181 horse engine.......got it done but you had to work at it.

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Newsguy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 7:58pm
Thanks, Leo. Looks like you're a fellow rider.  Just took a ride this afternoon on my 2010 Ultra. That hog has been in the garage for too long!
yellowstonestu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 3:05pm
I live in Grand Lake and pull my 173 with a 2008 Toyota FJ. I don't have it heavily loaded and figure with a tank of water (less than 300#) and my provisions, etc it may weigh in at 3000-3300#. I have traveled all over western CO (including over Cottonwood to the Taylor River,CB area fishing) and have had no power issues at all. I did know it was back there, but it still handled the load easily. Good luck and hope you find something that you will enjoy. Maybe I will see you when I head that direction fishing this spring!
Yellowstonestu & Bela the Vizsla
2008 Toyota FJ
2015 RPod 179 (Pod #2)
Newsguy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 3:49pm
Yellowstone:
Your answer couldn't be more specific!  We live in Nathrop, just outside of Buena Vista and frequently travel over Cottonwood Pass to Taylor Park since it's only about 40 miles from our house.  Good to hear your FJ handles your 173 with no problems.  Do you use a weight distribution hitch or sway bar?
Thanks!
yellowstonestu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 8:33pm
I just use a sway bar and have had great success with it. I have never had any indication of sway or control issue. I even towed it to Tucson through windy NM and had no issues at all.
I used to live in beautiful BV (is that redundant??). Great part of the state!
Yellowstonestu & Bela the Vizsla
2008 Toyota FJ
2015 RPod 179 (Pod #2)
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 9:48am
My 2009 Jeep Liberty with 3.7L only puts put 210hp through a 4 speed transmission.  It gets the job done I wish I had more gears though I lock 4th out when I am towing as it is overdrive and the drop from 3rd to 2nd is to steep. Makes it hard to maintain speed on the hills sometimes. It will drop to 2nd and overrev. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Newsguy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 10:15am
Thanks, Sean.  That is very helpful.  When you are locked into 3rd and pulling a grade, what is your MPH?
Bred Flink View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 12:33pm
Like yourself, I've towed lots of stuff with many different TV's. Mostly I tow over and around the CDN Rocky Mountains...so, as you know - the pulling part of towing is secondary to the stopping part of towing.
that said, My TV is a Honda Ridgeline, and after having towed my 3500LB sailboat with surge brakes, I can tell you that towing an RPod with electric brakes is a breeze. So, If I had your TV I wouldn't hesitate to hitch her up and getting going. I don't use any hitch accessories, I believe that the electric brake controller is the only sway control I need.

Sailing and camping Western Canada and US-NW
Newsguy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 2:29pm
Thanks, Bred.  The Ridgeline and the 2014 Cherokee have similar numbers in horsepower and torque, so I should be fine.  Pretty much decided to pull the trigger on a 2015 179 if the dealer comes back with the right numbers.  Thanks again for your feedback!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>