R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWet Batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet Batteries
    Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 10:37pm
Well I learned a couple things today. First, I'll have to disconnect more than the one negative battery cable I did to cut the power. Didn't really think that if the other battery is still hooked up I still have power. I discovered this by just happening to go in the rig after work today and seeing the radio backlight still on. That brings me to the second thing I learned today. I'm sure you've all heard we're in a drought here in California. Well it rained like heck last week and evidently the water runs right off the body of the trailer on to the batteries. Both boxes were completely full of water when I hooked the cable back up to charge the batteries. Anybody else have to deal with this? I guess I'll keep boxes vent holes covered in the winter. Also, do any of you use one of those disconnects for your batteries, or is it okay to just plug it in every couple of weeks? Thanks....Bill   
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 11:56pm
  I think most pods come with a single battery.  Two batteries makes for a nice mod, especially if you do a lot of boondocking.  There are several ways to hook up 2 batteries.  One of the first considerations is battery voltage.  Two six volt batteries would normally be hooked up in series and two 12v batteries would be hooked up in parallel.  I can't think why you would need to disconnect more than one negative cable, the one going to the chassis, in any case though.  If they are 12v batteries wired in parallel, you could disconnect the wrong negative cable, leaving one battery hooked up.

I'm not the brightest bulb on the circuit though, so I'm probably missing something.

As for the boxes filling with water, a 1/4 in hole in the bottom does wonders for avoiding that.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
OhTallMan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 12:28am
Battery Charging Question:
I tried a historical search and only saw one mention and want to clarify the answer - 

Will the TV charge the pod battery via the trailer connector? 
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 7:01am
   We keep our camper plugged in all the time their is no problem with the r-pods in doing so. As has been said you will need to drill holes in the bottom of the battery case to let water drain. I think I am right in saying all TV's with a 7 pin connector will charge your camper battery while TV engine is running.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 8:53am
The Pod is wired for that to happen, and if the vehicle is wired properly and appropriate fuses are in place it willl charge from your TV.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 10:45am
Like David said, drill a couple of small holes in the bottom of the battery case for water to drain. I use a battery disconnect now, just put it on towards the end of last summer. It does work well. Before that I would plug the POD into the barn or the yard pole every couple of weeks to keep the battery charged up. I put the battery on a small charger/minder in the garage all winter to keep it in good shape, it's still the original battery and at the end of last summer did OK. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

We keep our camper plugged in all the time their is no problem with the r-pods in doing so. As has been said you will need to drill holes in the bottom of the battery case to let water drain. I think I am right in saying all TV's with a 7 pin connector will charge your camper battery while TV engine is running.

That is normally true, but not always.  Most newer GMC and Chevy tow vehicles have the wiring in place but the wires (brake controller and 12 volt to the TT) have to be connected at the large fuse panel under the hood on the driver's side.  My Chevrolet Avalanche already had the necessary fuses in place, but some do not.  All I needed to do was connect the 2 wires to the threaded studs.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 1:33pm
Drilled holes in the bottom of my battery box the first day I brought the Pod home.
OhTallMan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 5:16pm
Thanks folks for all the responses. I am, obviously, very new to the R-Pod and appreciate the advice.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 10:09pm
Agree with adding holes to the battery boxes, you aren't the first one to discover that their batteries were taking a bath.  As for the batteries staying connected, if two batteries are in parallel (12 volt batts) then you must remove the positive from each battery to completely disconnect them.  I added a weatherproof fuse holder just outside of my battery for that.  If your batteries are in series you only have to remove one connection.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>