R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help
    Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 11:20pm
I want to remove my AC and replace it with a skylight . I talked to my RV dealer and ask if it would be a problem, answer was no. Then I asked him about the wiring, answer just unplug it but I have to get rid of the plug just cut it of. Then I asked do the thermostat wirers for the furnace run through the AC answer no the furnace has nothing to do with the AC. Went home opened it up and bingo everything runs through the AC.
There are 4 wirers 1: cable for 110 volt to power AC 2: number 10 wire orange and white to power the electronic ign. and the gas valve 3: thermostat wire red and white 4: thermostat wire red, white, blue, green, brown and yellow.
When I hook the 2 reds and the 2 whites together the blower on the furnace runs, but what do I have to do to get the gas and the electronic ign. to work. Help

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 5:07am
   A electrical engineer would most likely be able to help. Sorry I can't help but I am sure someone will be able to. Ermm
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 5:18am
  marwayne on page 5 of pods maintenance tips and tricks, check out  DEAD FURNACE posted by Tars Tarkas, maybe there is something mentioned there that might help.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 8:27am
I was just going to say the same thing....

I'd have to look back at my posts for colors, etc, but I'm not sure there is any reason you can't operate the furnace with it's own two-wire thermostat.  There are two wires (a pair of wires in one sheath) coming from the furnace.  Those wires go to the air conditioner for some reason.  I'm not sure, but you could probably run them straight to a $15 ($20 CDN) Home Depot thermostat.  You might be able to figure out how to use the existing thermostat, but I kind of doubt it.

Need to lose some weight or do you just never use the air con?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 8:58am
Originally posted by marwayne

There are 4 wirers 1: cable for 110 volt to power AC 2: number 10 wire orange and white to power the electronic ign. and the gas valve 3: thermostat wire red and white 4: thermostat wire red, white, blue, green, brown and yellow.
When I hook the 2 reds and the 2 whites together the blower on the furnace runs, but what do I have to do to get the gas and the electronic ign. to work. Help

Looking at your pictures brings back such sweet memories.Ouch  I think it's the red and white pair of wires hanging from the ceiling in your pic that go to the furnace. Take a look at the furnace to be sure.

Those wires hook up to a blue and a blue w/white wire coming out of the furnace.  Those should have little + and - tags on them if I remember correctly. Again, my memory is fading, but I think if you just join those wires the furnace will start.  You can take the wire nuts off and try it at the furnace with the blue wires, or you can join the red and white wires at the air con.  The results should be the same.

The furnace has its own circuit board that controls ignition and the rest of its cycle.  When those wires are joined the blower will start, then the gas will ignite and burn until those wires are disconnected (think thermostat reaches cut-off point).  Then the gas will go out and the blower will run for another minute or so to cool down the heat chamber.

All that is easy to test at the furnace.  If it's correct, you can cut the red and white pair at the air con and snag the cable through the hole in the wall the the thermostat wires come out of and use them with probably another thermostat.

Why those wires go to the air conditioner, I don't know.  It seems unnecessary, but they do and there must be a reason.  It would be nice to know what the reason is.  Maybe it has to do with the thermostat.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 9:21am
I was going to jump in here with my "expertise", but Tars has it well in hand. I no longer have my Pod, but recently replaced the cheap mechanical thermostat in my Camplite with a LUX Products digital unit; a simple two wire connection. It's heat only; the A/C uses its own internal ceiling mounted controls. Cry Too much trouble to run/snake wires to a combo wall mounted thermostat.  Good luck. You and Tars will solve it.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 9:39pm
As a side note, here is a cross section of the ceiling, the flat part of the ceiling is 2 3/16" thick.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Post Reply Post Reply