Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Sway Bars Needed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway Bars Needed?
    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:32pm
+1 big time.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 8:00am
+1 to Pod People.  Not only is a WDH safer, it also makes driving more comfortable and the ride smoother, especially when you have to cover a long distance.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 1:39pm
I have the Hayes Sway-Master as well and it works great.  It activated this week on our trip in a spot where the was a large dip to the right in the road and it put the brakes on immediately as the trailer swayed with the dip.  I have noticed it working a few times when the winds were high.  My Escape has electronic sway control not sure that it helps any.
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 2:09pm
Found this on the Escape's Sway control:
When properly equipped, trailer sway control will use the sensors of the vehicle’s AdvanceTrac with RSC system to detect and attempt to mitigate trailer sway by applying brake force at individual wheels and, if necessary, by reducing engine power. No driver action is required.
I got the Hayes unit because it activates the TT brakes.
Thomasandrews628 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Thomasandrews628 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 9:02am
My name is Tom and I recently bought a 2015 Rpod 176 camper,then I purchased a 2018 GMC Canyon SLE 3.6 8 speed,do I need a distribution/sway hitch for my combination?I don't travel very fast pulling anything anyway.Thanks for advise.
TA
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 9:49am
It's never a bad idea to use a WDH. It transfers part of the tongue weight back to the front wheels. The degree to which it helps is driven by the weight ratio between the tow vehicle and the trailer. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Thomasandrews628

My name is Tom and I recently bought a 2015 Rpod 176 camper,then I purchased a 2018 GMC Canyon SLE 3.6 8 speed,do I need a distribution/sway hitch for my combination?I don't travel very fast pulling anything anyway.Thanks for advise.

I would highly recommend it. We towed a 179 with a short bed Nissan Frontier crew cab as well as a long bed Frontier crew cab. A WHD with built in sway such as a Fastway E2 offers both weight distribution and anti sway. Even towing slow, you will run into road and environmental conditions that will induce sway.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 7:17pm
I ride on the other side of the fence on this issue when looking at the original, smaller rpods.  With the larger ones, especially the 2x axle yes, great idea and likely safer as well. 

In our case we have traveled with our 177 (fully loaded with 36 gallons H20- FW tank behind axle, weighs in at 2940 lbs.) for the past 13 years and over 44,000 miles, much of that going across the Midwest to get to the Rockies, and yes we have encountered huge cross winds in the process.  Our tow vehicles for the first 8 years were an '08 and '13 front wheel drive Explorer, the last 5 have been with a '95, '11, and '17 F-150.  All vehicles utilized a simple Curt friction bar and nothing else, no bad experiences or issues encountered and this is over all sorts of weather conditions such as blizzards, sleet, hail, heavy snow and rain, and cross winds in excess of 25 mph.  We keep the tongue weight just north of 11% at 340 lbs. which imho, makes a huge difference. 

A lot of problems have been encountered by those using WDH on the small trailers, the major one being the separation of front and side panels noted on the front of the trailer.  I have not seen this as an issue for those who only use a friction bar, though I am sure there have been some due to leakage issues.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2024 at 9:17am
Quick caveat though...weight distribution is not recommended with some tow vehicles.  My BMW x3 is, I have learned, a unibody and I can use only sway control. Thankfully, when I spent a bunch of money on a WDH/sway control system before I knew this, I bought the Andersen. When I did learn about the unibody restriction, I called Andersen. They told me I could still use my equipment because of the different way it accomplishes weight distribution and that, if I tightened the chains down a little less, I am effectively only using the sway control.

I already had the equipment and it was a couple of years old at that point so I don't have reason to not believe them....
Julie
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2024 at 10:57am
Originally posted by EchoGale

Quick caveat though...weight distribution is not recommended with some tow vehicles.  My BMW x3 is, I have learned, a unibody and I can use only sway control. Thankfully, when I spent a bunch of money on a WDH/sway control system before I knew this, I bought the Andersen. When I did learn about the unibody restriction, I called Andersen. They told me I could still use my equipment because of the different way it accomplishes weight distribution and that, if I tightened the chains down a little less, I am effectively only using the sway control.

I already had the equipment and it was a couple of years old at that point so I don't have reason to not believe them....

This is probably true for any WDH. You would just adjust to lessen the tension on the spring bars. That being said, you have added a bunch of weight that you would not need if you went with a simple ball hitch and friction sway bar. I know our E2 hitch alone was pretty heavy. Add the spring bars and hardware and my guess is there was easily 60-70lbs in the WDH alone.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>