Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWDH or sway bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: WDH or sway bar
    Posted: 02 May 2014 at 7:02am
I agree with Boomertype. Throw some 7'tall walls on that dump trailer, then drive it in 40mph gusting cross winds. I bet you won't be texting & driving.
I have towed cars & trucks with a tow truck since I was 17. I have hauled trailers even longer. Only ever had uncontrollable sway once; when a zero turn mower rolled back in the trailer. Exciting. I have had my Coleman Columbia popup trailer push me around all the way across Iowa on more than one occasion. The first time that I used a WDH with sway control was in 30 mph winds with our Pod. (same tow vehicle) It was MUCH more manageable than a folded down popup, that weighs less than half the weight.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 8:36am
I tend to agree with both points of view.  I've never had sway problems and I've never used a sway bar or a WDH and I've towed a lot of different trailers.  I pay attention to how the weight is distributed on the trailer, which is hardly ever a difficult proposition and can be very easily accomplished with the r-pod without the use of a shovel.  Maybe, but I doubt it, I'm better than average at pulling trailers.  There is a mindset one should be in when pulling a trailer, in my opinion.  If other people don't realize that or think that pulling a trailer should be no different than not pulling a trailer, those people are likely to run into issues -- again, my opinion, and I really don't think there are many people that dumb.

Never having used a sway bar or WDH, I certainly can't fault people who do.  They seem to serve the intended purpose and apparently they satisfy people as to their worthiness.  That's great.  If you feel you need them or are more comfortable with them, by all means use them.  They don't come without costs, in dollars, weight, and inconvenience, but again, many people seem to find them worth it and even necessary.

If I ever try pulling with a WDH and sway control I may become an instant convert, I don't know.  I've toyed with the idea of getting a 600# E2 or something similar just to try it.  If I don't like it I figure I can sell it as "like new" and maybe it will cost me $100 for the experiment.  We'll see.  I'm getting ready for an 800 mile (one way) trip and back with the pod.  Maybe I'll add the E2 to the expenses for this trip.  I made the same trip last year with zero issues though, so it's a tough sell for me.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 10:14am
You'll notice an improvement in your ride quality, if nothing else.  You are literally adding an extra suspension system at the pivot point.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Boomertype View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 2:46pm
A good friend of mine used this analogy - AntiSway/WDH is sort of like a seatbelt, you may have never needed one yet, but when you do, you will be glad you have one.  All it takes it the wrong conditions to make them worth every penny.  Some folks find the ride is improved, and I think that's a plus right out of the box.  But when that event occurs that and you survive because of your seat belts, you wear them every moment.  Seat belts have saved my family, someday a WDH/antisway system could save your life and maybe someone you love.  
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Hairy Podders

Throw some 7'tall walls on that dump trailer, then drive it in 40mph gusting cross winds. I bet you won't be texting & driving. 
Does a 25 ft trailer with 9 ft high walls in the first half and 10 ft in the second half count?   Towed it 2100 miles to Utah from SC and back. Many thousands of miles of more local trips over the last 15 years with it as well.
Never needed a sway control.
Reason- massive tongue weight being a toy hauler with all RV stuff in the front 10 ft or so...

Look- I never said a sway control was a bad idea. (Although it is in icy or slippery conditions)
I merely wonder why some people blindly state it is a must with NO knowledge of how a particular trailer tows.
I have a sway control, bought it probably 10 years ago on sale.  Still in the box, as I said I've never needed it- the minute I do it comes out and gets installed.
I also own, and use, 2 different WD hitches, one with 1000 lb bars and one with 600 lb bars.  I am a big fan of WD hitches and as techntrek says they generally improve the ride.  But I've never needed a sway control on one.
I stand by my original statement- a properly loaded trailer has NO need for a sway control,  WD hitch or not.

Carry onWink
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 6:03pm
I stand by my original statement- a properly loaded trailer has NO need for a sway control, WD hitch or not.

I agree. But, I have a 2"lift & 33" off road tires on a vehicle that has a 104"wheelbase. All of those items work against stability. I'm sure, given my years (& miles) of towing experience that I could haul that 3000 lb trailer most anywhere safely.
Heck I once hauled a tandem axle car trailer, overloaded with staw bales, with an Elcamino using a bumper hitch 35 miles. Not smart, but I was young. Got it home without scratch, as safely as possible.
That said, after using the WDH with sway control built in, I am a believer. But as you said, its not for everyone. But I think it would be very helpful for someone with less experience or a more marginal tow vehicle.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 2:32pm
The proper loading of a trailer (in other words, tongue weight) is only one factor that influences sway.  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1723&PID=29812&title=creating-an-instruction-maintanence-manual#29812
BUFFALO GALS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 7:44pm

apparently, I am the most stupid.
I can't figure out how to post anything.
Please help me.
e-mail: lchase8@maine.rr.com
HAPPY AND SAFE TRAVELS
CHASER
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 9:12am
I just sent you an email, not sure what issue you are having since your post appeared above.
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 6:16pm
I lied--Kind of. In the blow over messages, I stated that after my accident several years ago that I have used a WDH, but no sway control since. I should have stated sway control on the WDH or trailer. My Tundra, like many trucks is equipped with a built in anti-sway system that is enacted automatically whenever the truck or trailer starts to sway, AND to add to my lies, I installed a Toyota Racing Development sway bar on the rear suspension of my truck. So, I guess my sway control is just handled in a different manner. Sorry for my accidental prevarications.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>