R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Awning Concept

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Awning Concept
    Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 5:50pm
I know that there are not a bunch of Awning options for the RPod outside of the R-Dome or making one yourself.   I am currently working with Paha Que Wilderness Camping Tents and Shelters and they are building me an awning  for the R-Pod.  I will be beta testing it once i receive it in about 30 days.  I will post pictures here once i have it up.  Once tested this will give R-Pod owners another option for awnings.   Paha Que Wilderness Camping Tents and Shelters currently has the visor for the R-Pods.   Can't wait to see how this turns out.   
Tony9704 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 6:42pm
Options are good.  I like the dome, but it is not without its drawbacks.  Installation can be tedious especially using those suction clips, and they don't seal well.  But, it mostly keeps the bugs out and makes a good mud room.  I'm sure I'll get better at setting it up with more practice.  It would be nice if there were other aftermarket "dome" options out there though.  Can't wait to see the new product!

Only in America, Where the machinery of capitalism is lubed by the blood of the worker
-Homer Simpson
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 7:29pm
Just wondering, seeing how you are working on this, is it something that is permanently attached to the POD or will it have to be installed and removed when you move the POD. Just wondering. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
WQArmy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 8:19pm
I will be removable.  A little like the R-Dome but less to it.   More of an open concept. 

Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 9:07pm
Hey Walt, is this a new offering or a version of the "visor" from Paha Que? Their "visor" has been out for some time, but had some problems. We worked with Mike almost all last summer to get it right. The length was the key, long enough to provide "cantilevered" support, with it's fiberglass rod, but short enough to be lightweight. See our pictures on page 3 of this thread:

http://rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3246&KW=Paha+Que&PN=1&title=sale-On-rpod-trailer-visor-by-pahaque
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
WQArmy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 9:49pm
This will be a new offering open concept.  It will be a cross between the TAB trailer awning and the Safari Trailer awning that are shown on there web page.  Link below. 

http://www.pahaquecustom.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=cawn
RRL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 11:11pm
Just curious... what model R-pod do you have? We also struggled with the visor last year due to the length... we have a 178. Excited to see what the awning looks like!
"unWINEd" Pod
2014 RP-178
2006 Tundra
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 8:57am
Originally posted by WQArmy

I know that there are not a bunch of Awning options for the RPod outside of the R-Dome or making one yourself.   I am currently working with Paha Que Wilderness Camping Tents and Shelters and they are building me an awning  for the R-Pod.  I will be beta testing it once i receive it in about 30 days.  I will post pictures here once i have it up.  Once tested this will give R-Pod owners another option for awnings.   Paha Que Wilderness Camping Tents and Shelters currently has the visor for the R-Pods.   Can't wait to see how this turns out.   

Where at in the 'ville are you?  You folks should bring your Pod to some of the Kentucky Rallies, a lot of us in the area.  Which model you have?
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 9:28am
Sorry to change subject a little, but what have you guys done to stop the rail from tearing up the rdomes insert? When we slide the insert into the rail, it keeps shearing off some of the plastic. If I'm using the wrong words, I'm referring to the rail on the pod that the rdome connects to.
Has anyone smoothed the edges out? How?
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
WQArmy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 10:23am
RRL,   I have the RPod 178 with the 3in lifters for ground clearance. 

kymooses,  I live in the south end of Louisville.

wingnut2312,  I have heard in other posts on here that people have rounded off the tips of the edges of the awning rail track with a file at the point where you insert the canvas into the awning rail. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>