R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator Question???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator Question???
    Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:43pm
Good idea to cut down a foam air filter to fit. I'd also suggest:
- change the oil (don't even try to start it without changing the oil first)
- dump the gas. actually, i'd drain it and put it in my vehicle to use it up
- replace the sparkplug
- add some SeaFoam to the first tank or two of gas
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:03pm
I know from my dirt bike days one can buy sheets of foam filter material and make whatever you want.  Uni is the brand I've used....
I had to make a filter for a 600watt Honda generator I bought in the mid 70's as the original finally disintegrated.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 10:46pm
One more possible consideration.  Here in Florida we have been experiencing fuel line problems with outboard motors built during the pre-ethanol days.  Ethanol will slowly deteriorate rubber fuel lines, causing all types of problems.  Fortunately, gas lines are easily swapped out.  I have an older Coleman 1750 generator and the fuel lines are beginning to fail, causing clogs in the carburetor jets and gradually deteriorating in general.  I will be selling this generator, but not until I replace the fuel lines. Total cost, about $1.00.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
rimshot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 9:23pm
I did pour all the gas out, added a little fresh gas, shook it a little and dumped it out too. Changed the oil and have a new plug for it. I was told to put about a tablespoon of oil down the plug hole and pull the cord slowly a few times before I put the new plug in and try to fire it up too, but I haven't got around to that yet. I don't think I'll need the generator much, but if I do decide to start boon docking it may come in handy.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 8:54pm
Pre-ethanol gas was different I guess, but not so different that I'd trust it to run through the carb.  I'd pour it out and put some fresh non-ethanol gas if available and I'd try it out without the air filter before spending any money on the air filter.  It won't hurt to run in a clean environment without a filter for a while.  You might need a little choke.

As for the filter, if it's just a regular foam filter, I don't know why you couldn't cut one out of a larger filter.  Google around for a while to see if you can't find one ready made. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
rimshot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 12:21pm
I'm still getting the Pod ready for our first trip but a lot of campgrounds are already full for the season. We ended up with two dates booked but the first trip isn't until June. Which leads me to the generator question. I know some places up hiway 108 on the north side of Yosemite where you can just pull off the hiway, drive a short distance up dirt roads and set up. Central to fishing and gold panning, which I love to do. I have a generator, Toro T800, that would only run a couple lights itself, but is great for charging batteries. About twenty years ago I sold my 1976 Aristocrat LoLiner so I just kinda forgot about the generator. I did turn the gas off and let it run out, but didn't empty the tank. I'm now going through it to use it again and when I pull the air filter out, it crumbled in my hands, and you guessed it, they're no longer available. Is there something else I can use for a filter, or could I maybe buy a lawnmower filter and cut it to shape? By the way, the old gas looked and smelled like I bought it yesterday.
 Post Reply Post Reply