Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicle / Honda Pilot - Event Date: 13 May 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tow Vehicle / Honda Pilot
    Posted: 13 May 2014 at 9:21pm
Hello All! Not sure how to do this but we have just purchased a 2015 /179 and pick it up June 25th. We have a 2014 Honda Pilot EX 4WD, the manual advises against WDH altho' our RV dealer recommended it. I have to explain that the RV dealer recommended prior to knowing the TV....does anyone have any clarification on this topic. Hopefully you are not going to tell us that we purchased the wrong TV!! We are very much looking forward to our new RPod....we have downsized from a2007  24' Forest River Wildcat 5th wheel....are we nuts or what??!!

John and Wendee
Bracebridge, Ontario
Canada
sailo25 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 9:27pm
I pull a 151 with a 2013 pilot with a sway bar but not a wdh it pulls nice. I would try without if you need one the suggestion on this list is just don't lift to much with the wdh.
Paul & Karie
2009 151
2013 Honda Pilot
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 8:07am
Originally posted by johnandwendee

Hello All! Not sure how to do this but we have just purchased a 2015 /179 and pick it up June 25th. We have a 2014 Honda Pilot EX 4WD, the manual advises against WDH altho' our RV dealer recommended it. I have to explain that the RV dealer recommended prior to knowing the TV....does anyone have any clarification on this topic. Hopefully you are not going to tell us that we purchased the wrong TV!! We are very much looking forward to our new RPod....we have downsized from a2007  24' Forest River Wildcat 5th wheel....are we nuts or what??!!

I towed a 172 with a 2010 Pilot 4WD and E2 WDH hitch. I'm a firm believer in WDH and sway control for towing comfort and safety. The Honda book is a bit nebulous in this area. My 2010 book indicated they didn't recommend WDH because an improperly adjusted WDH could be damaging and dangerous. That is certainly true as I found out when I drove off the lot with the dealer installed setup. They actually had the brackets on up side down! After correctly installing and carefully adjusting the hitch I was pleasantly amazed at the difference. I don't interpret the Honda wording as a prohibition of a properly installed and adjusted hitch. Although I've traded up to a larger TT and TV I continue to preach the benefits if WDH and sway control.

One other consideration is the unibody construction of the Pilot. That construction is not as strong as a conventional frame and MAY have entered into Honda's thinking. However I've never found that mentioned anywhere else so I don't know. I towed the Pod for a year and thousands of miles and never had a problem. Again I emphasize: Get the hitch manual, Read it, Understand it, and properly adjust the hitch. This is critical, but once done, will be well worth it.

Run a search on this forum using the advanced search function and searching for my user name and Pilot for more of my ramblings. Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
podsuperior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 9:19am
We tow our 177 with a 2007 Pilot - that lists the towing capacity at 3500#'s - I think the new Pilots are 4500#??

I did add a anti sway bar after a few years of towing without one - it is a noticeable difference on windy days - so I feel it was worth the $$. 

It tows just fine in my view for local trips (few hundred miles), if we were going to spend weeks / months traveling, especially in mountainous areas I would love something more powerful.
2011 RPOD 177 - 2017 Tacoma
SeaPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 11:59am
We picked up our 2014 R179 last weekend and a tv came with it. Hubby towed our R Pod home from Schererville, IN to the gulf coast of MS with our 2013 Honda pilot with no sway bar and no problem. Our mpg dropped to 12 traveling at 65 to 70 mph. We are not 4wd. The transmission cooler was installed, and he also had a brake controller installed. Pulled great.
SeaPod
2014 R-179
2013 Honda Pilot
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 12:08pm
You must have gone to Rollin On in Schererville.  That used to be our RV dealer until we moved from Schererville to Florida 12 years ago. 
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 2:19pm
Welcome.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
SeaPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 10:09pm
We got our r pod from petes RV in Schererville sleepless
SeaPod
2014 R-179
2013 Honda Pilot
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 10:37pm
Pete's was not there during our 35 year stay in the area.  Rollin On and Campland were the only RV dealers in the immediate vicinity.  Times do change.
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Newsguy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 11:20pm
John, we just picked up our 179 at Couch's a few weeks ago and drove it to Colorado last week. Our TV is a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with V6 and tow pkg. I've pulled larger trailers for years and always used a WDH. Not needed with the Pod. It pulled beautifully with only an anti-sway bar I installed myself. About 800 miles into our trip, my wife asked "is it still back there?"  Not all vehicles tow alike, but the Pod only dropped my TV hitch about an inch and the vehicle and Pod are level.  Whether driving across the plains or pulling up into the Rockies high country, the whole rig handled beautifully.
Ram 1500
5.7L V-8 Hemi
2015 R-Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>