Topic ClosedProper AC wiring not used by FR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Budward View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper AC wiring not used by FR
    Posted: 23 May 2014 at 9:37am
It actually hit 90 on two days we were there in Jun 2012, at  8705 ft elevation!  
Surprised me as we were dealing with 4wd trails still snow blocked literally 2 miles away.
We were at USFS Haviland Lake CG.   Very unusual to me for the USFS as it had electric and water hookups at most sites-  I almost never see that in the southeast,  if I ever have! 
Very dry and dusty though, not helped by some of the "hosts" zooming around in golf carts far exceeding the posted speed limit and stirring up huge dust cloudsAngry

Haven't had a chance to pull on the wire yet, have to dig out a gigantic silicone glob where they sealed it coming into the A/C opening to connect it to the control box.  Also have to look under the shower area to see if that is where the wire ran leaving the convertor/breaker box.   Probably won't get back on that project for awhile as we head out for almost a week..

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Budward

Originally posted by furpod

I have to say, I have camped at 5000 feet and above lots of times. LOTS of times. Never once needed a/c.

You weren't camping where I was for 2 weeks in 2012 at 8000 ft elevation in southwest CO with 85+ temperatures every day.   Maybe you can deal with no A/C at 85+, but I choose not to when possibleConfused

I see it was a high of some +80F degrees, but still down around 60F at night.. yes I can deal with that.

Uncle Sam sent me places where the LOW was above 95F for weeks at a time. I didn't like it. I was raised in a pretty arid area where daily 50F degree swings are the norm for a fair part of the year. Way different to me than someplace that is always hot, or, Uncle Sam also sent me somewhere that's always freeking cold too..  Ouch

I think people are wondering because the way your post sounded, it was +80F the whole time, which, even if you don't believe so, is rare at +8000ft. My hate on that is when it's over 70F when I am trying to sleep.. that's why we have a TT. Smile

So back on topic, was the wire secured, or were you able to pull a new run. and since I was in the pod last night getting ready to go this morning, I checked, our a/c run is also 12g.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 7:35am

Well I did say I would change it to 10 gauge if I was able to change it easily.  As said I'm not gonna go ripping out panels to change it, but if FR simply ran it loose without securing it so I can pull it out while pulling in a bigger wire, I will.   So there is another small incremental gain..10 gauge rather than 14 gauge.
I guess we'll just have to have different opinions on this matter, a small gain that may be worth it to me, isn't to you.Wink
I also run no ethanol gas in my generator as it potentially yields more power than e-10LOL
Oh yeah I assembled an 8 ft 10 gauge cordset to use when on the generator and needing A/C instead of the 25 ft one FR includes , again a small incremental gainLOL

If it is easy to do it, great, I was just trying to save you from doing the work.  You will get a gain, just very small.

No ethanol is good long-term for the carb, too, so it is a good strategy.  I add Stabil to mine, too, but don't believe them when they say it can preserve your gas for a year.  Last year my Yamaha worked fine with new gas and started on the first pull.  Next tank I put in year-old gas and it took 10 pulls to start it each time I tried.  It ran fine but I have to wonder how much less power it would produce if I pushed it to the limits.  Next tank, back to fresh gas and it started with 1 pull again.  Now I rotate my gas supply (about 25 gallons) every 6 months, still using Stabil.

Shorter cord will help a little, too.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 10:02pm

Even though it is obvious to everyone you are trying to start some dispute...here you go-

Closest weather station I could find-

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCODURAN3#history/s20120618/e20120627/mcustom

Not sure why you would suggest that, but thanks for the data. June 2012 was, for sure, a weather anomaly. I do think AC @ 8000 feet would be an extremely rare need.

Thanks for the data and please have a wonderful evening.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 9:58pm

Originally posted by furpod

I have to say, I have camped at 5000 feet and above lots of times. LOTS of times. Never once needed a/c.

You weren't camping where I was for 2 weeks in 2012 at 8000 ft elevation in southwest CO with 85+ temperatures every day.   Maybe you can deal with no A/C at 85+, but I choose not to when possibleConfused

Nope, I used to camp in the high Sierra for weeks at a time usually 7400 and up.. as I said, where I camped, no need. Rockies must be different. Don't intend to find out.
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 9:57pm
Even though it is obvious to everyone you are trying to start some dispute...here you go-

Closest weather station I could find-

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCODURAN3#history/s20120618/e20120627/mcustom

added in edit- Well the link doesn't show highs for a week like it shows me-  but you can go in and change the dates to see for yourself.
You can also see it in table form rather than graphs if they confuse you.

Actually was over 90 several days and 85 or above for more than a week, at 7560 ft elevation.
2014 179
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 9:16pm

Sure I'll be glad to provide the exact info just as soon as you tell me where in Colorado it is sea level.

I'm sorry, I'll rephrase. Please tell me where and when so I can verify. Does that help? I really would like to know where it ever got that warm at 8000 ft. for a week.

Thanks!

fred
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 9:14pm

Interesting....the factory may have just screwed up on mine.  Maybe they were out of 12 gauge wire that day....still no excuse.   I did try to read the gauge on the main feed from the inlet but couldn't on the part I could see.

On my 177 14 gauge is white, 12 gauge is yellow, and 10 gauge is orange.

On my tour of the Dallas, OR plant, they do slap them together. They produce 18 Rpods a day. My guide said it takes a day to completely make one. On the way into the plant my guide got on a radio and told the workers to turn off the rock music. LOL
Cary
2014 RP-177
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 9:13pm
Sure I'll be glad to provide the exact info just as soon as you tell me where in Colorado it is sea level.

2014 179
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 8:43pm

Wow! That's really interesting. Could you please tell me the exact time and place you were. That's quite a meteorological anomaly as far as I know. I'm pretty sure the average temperature difference between sea level and 5000 feet is about 20 degrees. At 8000 feet it's probably pretty close to 30 degrees, meaning the sea level temperature where you were was well over 115 degrees for a week. I'm not familiar with that kind of incident in Colorado, but I'm sure you will set me straight with time and place so I can verify.

Thanks!

fred
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>