R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Important - check this every time you set up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 22>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Grayotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Important - check this every time you set up
    Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 12:07am
Off the subject, but similar concerns... How would an R-pod do in a lightening storm?
Gar
Love2 1der
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 7:02am
I would have to look at the construction to venture a guess. Do anyone have a factory connection I can contact to get some info on how it's built?

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 7:57am
  There are some videos of the factory showing construction of the r-pods somewhere on this forum or the r-pod nation forum. And some of the first posts back in 2009 there was someone who worked for Forest River explained the construction of the r-pods, I believe that was the r-pod nation forum. Hope this helps.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 11:42am
The curved sides and the roof is wood framing, the flat sides are aluminum framing, with steel framing underneath the pod.  The walls and roof are built as a sandwich with fiberglass on the outside, and I believe a layer of aluminum somewhere in the sandwich.  Pics:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2542&title=visit-to-forest-river-plant-in-oregon
Assuming the layer of aluminum exists a direct strike might get diverted to ground.  Lightning does really weird things so there is no guarantee, even in a steel + concrete building, and even if it strikes something outside and well away from a building.  It struck a large transformer at our church and shot out of an outlet and across a room in a building 200 feet away, even though the transformer was sitting on the ground and was properly grounded, just one example.

That said, do I move my family into our TV at the first signs of lighning?  No.  I didn't do it when we had a popup with nothing but tenting and a wood-framed roof above us.  I've pulled up all the stats before and you have a much, much, much larger chance of being murdered in any given year than being struck by (let alone killed by) lightning.  The average is about 50 deaths per year, and about 300 injuries.  For all 19 deaths this year the people involved were out in the open.  I would worry much more about a falling limb or tree during a storm.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Lightning does really weird things so there is no guarantee, even in a steel + concrete building, and even if it strikes something outside and well away from a building.  It struck a large transformer at our church and shot out of an outlet and across a room in a building 200 feet away, even though the transformer was sitting on the ground and was properly grounded, just one example.

When I was a Kid Lightning struck our grounded TV antenna went through the TV arced to a ceiling light then to second light and exited through a window. All while my parents were sitting on the sofa watching TV. it blew two light bulbs took out the  TV but no other damage. My dad used it as an excuse to buy our first Colour TV. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 3:12pm
I'd call that a very good excuse for a new tv... and new underwear.

I'll also emphasize here the need to follow the 30/30 rule.  Lightning really will strike "from a clear blue sky" from a distant storm.  I've experienced it personally, which I detailed here a few years ago:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1974
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 3:07pm
By the way, I've read the book that Mike posted on the prior page of this thread.  I can recommend it as a good tutorial on the basics of electricity, and on the use of the various tools that have been mentioned before on this thread.
cmrb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cmrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 11:52am
I have almost no knowledge of electricity and how it works. I would like someone to tell me how to do the test. Be very specific. I do not own a tester and don't know how to use one/ My interests have always been in history and anthropology and can tell you a lot about those two subjects; so tell me how to do the test. Thanks a million!
cmrb
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 8:11am
I'm currently working on a video with Gary Bunzer (the RV Doctor) which goes over this outlet and hot-skin test procedure in detail. So if a picture is worth a thousand words, a video must be worth at least a million words or more. I'll let you know when it's online and post a link here. 
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by jmsokol

I'm currently working on a video with Gary Bunzer (the RV Doctor) which goes over this outlet and hot-skin test procedure in detail. So if a picture is worth a thousand words, a video must be worth at least a million words or more. I'll let you know when it's online and post a link here. 

Here's a basic video I just did about how to test a campground pedestal for proper voltage, polarity and grounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5pLlZm8O84

I'm working on additional RV electrical videos and will let you know when they go online.

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 22>