R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Important - check this every time you set up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Important - check this every time you set up
    Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 2:32pm
As I understand it, my hardwired EMS will protect against a hot skin condition. As far as i know, I dont need to check for it, or worry about it (as long as the EMS is working) Or is that not true ?

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
babyboogerfamily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote babyboogerfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

As I understand it, my hardwired EMS will protect against a hot skin condition. As far as i know, I dont need to check for it, or worry about it (as long as the EMS is working) Or is that not true ?

What is an EMS?
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by babyboogerfamily

Originally posted by mjlrpod

What is an EMS?

I'm going to do a two-fer and answer both questions at once. An EMS is a type of surge protector that including on-board testing for over and under voltages, as well as an open ground. EMS is short for Electrical Monitoring System and typically sold by two main companies, Progressive Industries and SurgeGuard. Expect to pay between $300 to $500 for a "smart" surge protector with EMS capabilities. And no, just because you have an EMS installed doesn't mean you can't have a hot-skin voltage. One of the most dangerous mis-wiring conditions I've discovered and named is an RPBG for Reverse Polarity Bootleg Ground, and there's no surge protector on the market, smart EMS or whatever" that can detect or disconnect your RV from an RPBG miswired outlet. Here's the article where I introduce the concept of an RPBG to the construction industry: http://www.ecmweb.com/contractor/failures-outlet-testing-exposed

Also, I'm going to be on the RV Show USA radio program this evening from 6:30 to 7:30PM Central Time, so call up and ask your question if you can. https://www.facebook.com/TheRVShowUSA/ Here's more info below:

RV Electricity editor Mike Sokol
 will appear later TODAY on the syndicated radio program, The RV Show USA. The program is taped live on Facebook to be broadcast later on radio stations across the USA.

Mike will be the guest for one hour beginning at:

Pacific Time: 4:30 p.m.
Mountain Time: 5:30 p.m.
Central Time: 6:30 p.m.
Eastern Time: 7:30 p.m.

During the show, please call in with your questions for Mike toll free at 1-855-296-7469.
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
Ninjamini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ninjamini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 12:50pm
What size?

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-1AC-A1-II-VoltAlert-Non-Contact-Voltage/dp/B00ATGPRRQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1523555149&sr=8-10&keywords=Volt-Alert
davidhager View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidhager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 6:19am
Thank you for sharing such amazing tips. It's good to be a part of such helpful community.
David H Hager
Shane View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 2:35pm
I just gotten my tester yesterday, now I will make sure I test my pod every time... Thanks for the information! It could be a matter of life or death!
ENGINE 55,TRUCK 44,BATALLION 12
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 3:58pm
I'm glad to see this thread is still making an impact.  I'll add that since I posted this, I've checked my hookup with an outlet tester and NCVT every time (I have a voltage display inside), and I've found multiple campgrounds with miswired power poles.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
lowell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 5:47pm
Been working on issues with a 171i just got.  First thing was electrical.  Surge protector indicated an open ground and reverse polarity.  I’m not real good at electricity so called an electrician friend.  He was puzzled at first.  I had also got small shocks from this one and previous trailer.  

He decided my outlet I was plugged into was not grounded.  He drove a rod into the ground and touched it to bare metal on trailer and open ground and reverse polarity was no longer indicated on surge protector.  Put a new circuit in house I knew would be grounded and that fixed the problem.  

The trailer hitch was sitting on gravel and the was not enough to ground trailer good enough.  Taking a ground rod with me in case electrical source is not a grounded circuit 
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 6:00pm
Your issue was an ungrounded power source. That can happen in a campground. One thing you can do is disconnect your power cord and measure from the ground on your 30 Amp connector to the trialer frame. It should be O ohms. That tells you your trailer ground at the trailer is a good connection. The top two connectors should be "open" and the bottom spade should be shorted to the frame. That would be good. Then you can suspect the power source is the issue. That is a plus of your power cord and not using extension cords and adapters. I use my protector as a circuit checker here at house. To make sure there is a ground from the power panel to the 30A RV connector I had installed. Good post.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 6:13pm
I always plug in a tester into the outlet before connecting the RPod. I used to carry the Camco surge protector which had lights which helped me at one campground to get changed to a different site when it indicated a similar fault. That now is at home. I now have a Hughes Autoformer which also has a circuit analyzer that I plug in to test the power before connecting the RPod.While it may not detect every single possible fault, it is reliable enough that I trust it to help me avoid similar situations.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>