R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Important - check this every time you set up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 22>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Budward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Important - check this every time you set up
    Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 5:18pm
Yeah the connector actually looked to be really high quality for about half the price of others.   Never dreamed they'd reverse the screws...
The cord was actually one I made up for the generator and wouldn't normally be used plugged into AC power since it is only about 8 ft long..but I had done so at the house rather than leave the big cord out to weather, get chewed by rodents etc..

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 5:48pm
I don't trust ANY imported electrical products until I test them myself. We see this problem of swapped wires all the time with imported microphone and speaker cables. There's really nothing you can do to get the message back to China, which is a shame. That's one really good reason to pay a little more and buy American made products (when you can).   
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Budward

HOLY CRAP!

Grabbed my handy Fluke detector and found it lit up on the white wire of one of the romex cables!

Reversed polarity (swapped hot and neutral) is really dangerous when you're working on wiring and assume the neutral isn't hot. NCVT testers like the Fluke VoltAlert are great for finding this sort of swapped-hot connection.
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 10:13pm
Thanks to everyone who watched my webinar guest appearance today on RVtravel - YouTube. They've asked me to come back for another show in a few weeks, so send your RV electrical questions to mike@noshockzone.org and I'll put them on the list.

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
No Shock Zone
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 7:11am
Sorry I had to miss this round.  Saturday mid-day was my only "free" time all weekend to get some chores done around the house.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 7:23am
You can see the rerun at www.RVtravel.com where they'll break it up into single topics. Also note that they're changing the webcast time to Sunday evenings at 6PM west coast, 9 PM east coast time. Too many people want to get chores done or play golf Saturday mornings. Go figure... LOL

They've also asked me to do a weekly "Ask the Expert" video series. So if any of you have questions you would like me to answer in a video, please email them to me at mike@noshockzone.org.
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 1:35pm
In addition to No~Shock~Zone RV Electrical Safety, I"m now doing a series of video shorts on RVtravel called Ask The Expert. My first two videos are about RV safety during lightning storms.

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abLUcHZx6OU&list=UUARpsGWj6MJ7JE78OcfWKWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBv7TCkea4A&list=PLq052IybXEqV3yyIF8yfV3Mfr7TQMcz5b&index=2

And here's an outside review of the eBook: http://www.loveyourrv.com/noshockzone-rv-electrical-safety-ebook-review/
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 7:52pm
techntrek, I've been trying to send you a PM, but your inbox is full. Let me know if you would like a full review copy of my No~Shock~Zone RV Electrical Safety eBook. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2DWBD8
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 10:06pm
Whoops, I've now cleared out some room.  Sending an email to you.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jmsokol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmsokol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 10:56pm
Sadly, a 3-year-old boy was electrocuted on Monday when the touched the electrified skin of his family RV in the back yard. Here's the video interview I just did about this for RVtravel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opuult8jMOo&feature=youtu.be
mike@noshockzone.org
www.noshockzone.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 22>