R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYet another 2015 179HRE on the road!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yet another 2015 179HRE on the road!
    Posted: 23 May 2014 at 8:32am
Originally posted by techntrek

If the door comes into contact with the fender, what about just mounting a maget to the door?  Stainless steel usually doesn't have great magnetic properties but a neodymium magnet might be strong enough.

Old Hippy, welcome.

Are the fenders Stainless? I thought they were aluminum.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
TriumphRider View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 11:08am
The Pod brochure lists the fenders as aluminum.  

On our 179 there is a plastic 'snubber' screwed to the fender which prevents the door from hitting the fender/running light.  I have ordered a 3/4" Neodymium ring magnet with a 1/4" hole which I think will mount at the end of the snubber with the mounting screw.  Then a small piece of ferrous material attached to the door might make for a much better door keeper.

When/if I get it working I'll post pics.

TriumphRider
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 1:35pm
Interesting- my 179 had nothing on the fender to prevent damage where the door hits it.   I did apply a rubber adhesive disk to the fender and the door where they meet, to help prevent any damage.    
 I just realized our 179 is one month old today...last of the 2014's I suspect--the new and improved 2015 has the snubberLOL
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Sea pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 11:53pm
Our 179 door latch was pulled out by the dealer, so I drilled throught the door and put a backing plate on the inside. Still think fr should move the door back 6" and trade some counter space for door swing.  (I build custom wood doors and millwork for a living)     Cool 
Also our shower wall was bubbled and come to find out somewhere a piece was laminated over some other problem underneath.....will find out what lies under soon.

All and all, the 179 has good qualities and a good place to start with the mods.
TV..ford 350
Co pilot....Noreen
Navigator...rosie
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 5:21am
I wouldn't want the door moved back-  6" of counter space is pricelessSmile
They need to hinge the door on the other side- problem solved.  The door flying open while traveling doesn't compute with me....40years of RVing and never have I had this happen.
Besides-   the ingress assist handle can easily be folded over the door to make sure this can't happenLOL

Added in edit-   this weekend the wife asked what would happen if a prankster folded the assist handle over the door while we were inside.Shocked

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 6:43pm
My bad on the stainless!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
J-Cat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 9:16pm
Congrats on your new 179.  We picked up our 179HRE last week and the door had the exact same problem.  The dealer did a temporary fix and is getting a new door from FR.  I suspect FR will be doing a lot of warranty work on this door design.  I haven't figured out what I am going to do for a door latch yet but a bungee cord will suffice for now. 

We are in the Pacific NW also and I have never pulled a travel trailer before so you might want to keep a sharper lookout for a silver Tacoma with Pod careening down the highway.
Jerry & Cathy
2015 RP-179 HRE
2013 Tacoma SR5 4x4
TriumphRider View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 9:54pm
Well, we got back from our inagural trip a couple of days ago.  We really had a great time! 

The weather held out for us until on the way home we got caught in a torrential downpour.  Didn't think much of it, but when we got home and were cleaning out the Pod we noticed rain water dripping down onto the counter from the back wallCry.   I guess the rear window was not sealed properly!  

I had previously caulked around the stove (Thanks to who-ever suggested that!) and the caulking around the counter looks well done, so we don't think that the water came into contact with any of the press board, but who knows for sure...  I called the dealer and they are getting us in for re-sealing this coming Monday.  I sure hope there will be no damage done from this.

Other than that it was a wonderful trip and we have another scheduled in a week, so we won't let it get us down. 

On a side note, it does look like the door keeper magnet idea may work!  There is even some steel inside the door right where the magnet will be, so I might not need to put a plate on the door!  I'll take some pictures if/when it is working.  For now, we too are using the venerable bungy cord!LOL

TriumphRider

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12