R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe $65 canopy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The $65 canopy
    Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 11:28am
Mind if I ask what campground those photos with the dog were taken at? Seems like a very nice, large, scenic and private site. Hoping it's in CO or nearby, as I might add that to our "must visit" list.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Budward

Good looking canopy job!
I just finished modifying a 10x12 nylon tarp to slide into the rpod rail. 
I had also played with a canvas tarp but it was just too darn heavy/bulky and cumbersome to slide into the channel.
I'll get pics of my version later this week when we get it set up again in the NC mountains.

I'll look forward to that, I've been considering something like that as a "bridge" between the pod and the EZ-ups we always use.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 1:06pm
Yeah the EZ-up style are nice but dang they sure are heavy-   I searched online and found one with an aluminum frame but it turned out the be as heavy as the steel one and of course much more money....
I picked up a new 10x10 one Saturday at Academy Sports, looks really good for $89 and is actually 10x10 coverage with straight down legs.  Of course Sunday they dropped it $10 to $79, figures.Unhappy

2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
MoggerPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 4:43pm
From the pics It looks like the rear stabilizer jacks have been replaced on the rear. Is this style more stable than the scissor style that is original equipment?
Brad & Laura B.
Durango, CO
2014 RP177HRE
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 9:34pm
your tarp solution looks great.  simple and functional. and you made it!!  thanks for posting the pictures.
I have questions about the poles--it looks like there are only 2 long fiberglass tent type poles.  It looks like they go from the ground, cross at the top and are attached at the the ends of the channel.
  how did you attach the poles to the pod? where did you get the poles? how long are they?

any other construction thoughts would be appreciated. or a picture of the poles attached without the tarp.

here is a picture of a tent pole  foot/anchor  that I made and use for our r dome. it is simply 1/2" metal conduit, bent and drilled for a metal stake. The r dome pole fits inside it and is anchored to the ground with the metal stake.  the black parachute cord connects the 2 bottom ends of the front hoop pole to keep them from spreading too far apart. this anchor  might be useful for any type of tarp arrangement.

thanks
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
NXRocks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by COSPod

Mind if I ask what campground those photos with the dog were taken at? Seems like a very nice, large, scenic and private site. Hoping it's in CO or nearby, as I might add that to our "must visit" list.

The campground is called Cascade and is outside Buena Vista - just passed Mount Princeton Hot Springs. Great place !
2009 R-Pod 172 Lifted 4"
2008 Nissan Xterra built up - too much to list
Computer Engineer with metal work as a hobby - or more - former NXRocks manufacturing
First time RV Camper - this better be good
NXRocks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:24pm
I am not debating how nice the R-Dome is - just the fact that is crazy expensive and not worth the money - but very usable. Because there are no other vendors out there to compete with them - they can afford to keep the price like that. As I said - as an alternative - the 60 some dollars canopy works great.
2009 R-Pod 172 Lifted 4"
Computer Engineer with metal work as a hobby - or more - former NXRocks manufacturing
NXRocks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by MoggerPod

From the pics It looks like the rear stabilizer jacks have been replaced on the rear. Is this style more stable than the scissor style that is original equipment?

The stabilizers are the OEM for this trailer. It is a '99. There were not jacks on the front - I added those myself. Cannot tell you which one is better - the OEM's are definitely faster on setting.
2009 R-Pod 172 Lifted 4"
Row pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 7:55pm
way cool. Beat me my awning was $125. Posted picture under the awning discussion. Yours looks much lighter.
Markus5 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 11:17pm
Very nice work.  I'm thinking about doing something similar.  We got a screen tent at a yard sale, but it turned out to be pretty crappy.  Paid next to nothing for it.  So, no loss.  But, it got me thinking and reading about how to make a canopy or a full-monty tent.  The rdome is nifty and pretty spendy.  A better way, and you found it.  That screen tent you have looks nice, too.

I read somewhere, maybe here, that using pex piping works nicely in the track.  I'd cut it in 2ft sections and run an elastic cord thru it.  Then it could be folded for storage.

And, if you made that carrier - that's cool too.  Can the spare fit behind it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>