R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRemoving Bathroom sink?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing Bathroom sink?
    Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 4:26pm
Anyone out there considered removing the "sink" in the bathroom?  I have a 2015 179 and the bathroom sink is pretty useless.  The only thing it does well is take up space in an already cramped bathroom.  It appears to be a pretty easy uninstall.  Remove the sink and the drain fittings and then place a panel over the hole in the wall that is used by the drain plumbing.  I plan on leaving the faucet in the toilet in case we use the shower.  Thoughts?
Ram 1500
5.7L V-8 Hemi
2015 R-Pod 179
Pod-a-terre View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 5:10pm
Interested in responses and options. We have reserved a 2015 179 for August purchase as it is to hot to do much in SC in July and our new tow veh is in Port and set for delivery at end of June.
Bath is a big issue for both of us. I have braces on both legs and in and out is an issue ...plan to put a rail on the opposite side of the door if possible to navigate the step safely. any idea or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Wife Kris likes large bath as we came form a larger TV and an A.
John
John Kris "Lady Sarah" our Golden
Aiken SC
Newsguy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 5:19pm
John:
We love our 179.  We live in the Rockies and have used it a number of times since we took delivery in April.  It's easy to tow and feels bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside.  The long slide makes a real difference.  But the bathroom is an issue. I'm a big guy and it's tiny.  My wife is not a big guy, and it's a challenge for her to navigate as well.  We do a lot of dry camping, so we need a potty.  This one works, but is a challenge.  However, if I wanted more room in the bathroom, I could have purchased one of those boxy trailers that all look alike.  The other attributes of the Pod far outweigh the tiny bathroom.
Ram 1500
5.7L V-8 Hemi
2015 R-Pod 179
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Newsguy12

Anyone out there considered removing the "sink" in the bathroom?  I have a 2015 179 and the bathroom sink is pretty useless.  The only thing it does well is take up space in an already cramped bathroom.  It appears to be a pretty easy uninstall.  Remove the sink and the drain fittings and then place a panel over the hole in the wall that is used by the drain plumbing.  I plan on leaving the faucet in the toilet in case we use the shower.  Thoughts?

One of the very first mods I did to my Pod 4 years ago.  You can contact Forest River and buy a piece of the wallboard to cover the large hole.
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 6:41pm
My main issue with the sink is my left knee, I'm 6'1",  hits the bottom of it.  Looking at it, I think I can remove the bottom piece, trim a couple of inches off the top, and remount it higher. 
The reason for trimming the top is the trim line would be hidden and the bottom has a flange molded in that needs to stay for strength.
Really I would just have preferred to not even have it in there in the first place, as to me it is so small as to be near useless.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 8:17pm
The original pods didn't have them, I couldn't imagine taking up the room when there is a larger sink 3 feet away.

A suggestion I've made here before is to open the bathroom up by making it how it is in popups.  Cut the walls down to roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of the full height, moving the shower faucet down, hanging the shower head from a ceiling bracket.  Put in a wrap-around curtain (in this case 3/4 around), roll it up to the ceiling when not in use.  It will make it feel much more open when not in use, and you won't knock your elbows on 3 sides while showering.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
bbqnjm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 10:35am
We recently removed the sink in our 2013 178 and also relocated the shower curtain track.  It is bendable and I extended out over the door- We keep the door open to shower.  It made a big difference. We're now thinking about changing the shower head to the Oxygenics one.  Haven't figured out how to post pictures but I have posted them on the FB group.  
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:33pm
For pics, go to the full edit mode.  Either by pressing the Post Reply button to the bottom-left of the last post, or the arrow that points up-left just above the Quick Reply text box.  Once you are there look for the little tree, press that.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
bbqnjm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 5:04pm
thanks- will need to get pics from my phone to my computer & try it
Nancy & Don
BarPodQue
2013 178
CARR-POD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 6:03am
Trees love to toss and sway; they make such happy noises.
(Emily Carr)
Pam and Ed
2011 R177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>