R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: R-Pod Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Towing Experience?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Towing Experience?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Towing Experience?
    Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 10:25pm
I hauled a full load of fresh water a hundred miles into the mountains on this trip. It did fine. I wouldn't be afraid of hauling water. You're just going to do it a bit more slowly. Plus be sure that you still had adequate tongue weight after the fresh water tank is full.
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
ReiMan1776 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 5:10pm
I think have enough testimonials and advice that I am going to move forward with the 178, watch the weight loading, run with the holding tanks dry. I am so appreciative of all that have responded. 
Dan
Hairy Podders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 7:52am
I towed our 178 with our '06 Unlimited Rubicon(the old bodystyle with the inline 6 cylinder)from Northwest Ohio all over the state of Colorado. We put 4345 miles on the Jeep in 2 weeks time. Most of those miles we hauled the Rpod. That said, the Jeep handled the camper very well. It would be nice to have another 100 horsepower(like yours does). Fuel mileage ranged from 9.5 to almost 12. But we were loaded heavy & I was throwing the whip to the old girl most of the time. We got better mileage towing in the mountains at slower speeds than on the highway. But your shoving a brick through the wind, hauling a blob. Whatta ya expect?
Darryl, Julie & Lindsey
Cooper & Libby- Devoted Canines
2014 RP178
2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
horsepwr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 3:26pm
Just completed a 1000 mile trip with 2009 4 door unlimited. Towed fine minor sway with water in the tank and none when empty.
Joe & Denese
2015 Rpod 178
2009 Jeep Unlimited 4x4
unlblkrubi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 9:48am
I've towed our 171 thousands of miles with the 2011 JKUR we had, no problems. Only thing I added was the brake controller. Expect around 10-12 mpg tho and not a lot of power. Like the above poster said, check out the Facebook page, Pods and Jeeps just go together.
Squatchpod
2011 171
2013 Jeep JKUR
RPodWeGo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 1:30am
Check out the RPod Facebook page.  Several people tow with Rubicon 4door.  One couple just drove up to Alaska. 
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 11:23pm
Do you have the receipt for warranty if needed. 

Dan
jan demarinis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 9:49pm
I have a brand new Prodigy P2 controller for sale if you are interested. $100 and I'll pay shipping.
Jan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 7:10pm
This is very encouraging. I have my eye on a 2013 177 Hood River edition comes with WDH, cover, loaded for $13,500 so all I have to do is get a brake controller installed. Yes my Rubicon is the 4 door. 
Dan
Newsguy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 5:09pm
Dan:
You shouldn't have any problem towing the R-Pod with your Ruby.  I assume it's the longer 4-door model?  I'm towing a 2015 179 with one of the new 2014 Jeep Cherokees with the V6.   Last month I towed it from the Cincinnati area to our home high in the Rocky Mountains. I towed it at 60-65 on the Interstate with absolutely no problems. On the second day of Interstate travel, my wife asked.."is it still back there?"  When we started into the mountains it pulled great and handled wonderfully.  I've towed much heavier trailers over the years using WDH and sway bars.  I was able to hook up the 179 before I bought it and discovered quickly I didn't need the WDH--only a sway bar.  The hitch weight is only 250 pounds and dropped the rear end of my Cherokee only about an inch.  On short trips through the mountains (we do a lot of dry camping), I don't even use the sway bar since we travel at lower speeds.  Hope this helps! BTW, I averaged 12MPG on the 1300 mile trip to the Rockies...a far sight better than the 6-8 I used to get with a Suburban pulling an 8K pound trailer.
Ram 1500
5.7L V-8 Hemi
2015 R-Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>