R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: R-Pod Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Towing Experience?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Towing Experience?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Towing Experience?
    Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 2:40pm
Greetings!

I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-door Rubicon, with factory tow package, includes electronic sway control, 4.1 rear axle,  rated 3500lb towing capacity. I have been considering A frame hard side trailers, such as the Rockwood A196HW. That is until I saw the R-Pods, much nicer creature comforts and floorplans! Not much more in price and less than Chalet / Aliner A frames which are $20k plus!!

I am partiial to the R-171 and R-177, concerned about weight and wind drag. Love my Rubicon and do not want to buy a trailer and find out towing it is a white knuckle experience. I have towed larger trailers with larger vehicles and am a very good driver IMHO. 

All of the above said, would appreciate any Jeep Wrangler owners to share their experiences with the R-Pod, towing and otherwise. I like the Hood River units with larger tires, ground clearance. Will use mine in the Southern CA deserts and mountains where it does get very windy. Also reading up on hitches, sway controls, was told weight distribution hitch not needed on these single axle trailers but sway control advised. I would think a brake controller would be a must.

Thanks in advance. 

Dan
Dan
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 3:16pm
Welcome, I don't have your TV but I can discuss other items.  I know there are others here with your vehicle that will chime in.

All pods, no matter what the model, hit a wall above 50-55 mph.  They look aerodynamic but aren't any better than other campers at highway speeds.  Normally it isn't much of an issue, but it can be if you hit a strong headwind.

The pod is the most comfortable trailer I've ever towed, between the torsion axle and radial tires.  I had a popup which absolutely had to have sway control, so I was happy to tow my pod for a year or two w/o it.  Then one windy day I realized I should get it for safety.  I ended up getting a WDH which included sway control since I really needed weight distribution with my last TV.  With my current TV I don't need weight distribution - but it still acts as an extra suspension system, improving the ride quality a lot.  I still use my WDH for this reason.  If I didn't have the WDH I would get a bar-style sway control for safety.

Yes, a brake controller is required.  If you want to go easy (but not cheap), Tekonsha has a wireless system.  Cheaper but still top-rated is their Prodigy, which requires a wired installation under the dash.  Don't buy cheaper brake controllers, this is one area where you don't want to save $40.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
outermostpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 5:06pm
We towed our R-178 with a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with 3.73 axle and added a transmission cooler.  We used a WDH and sway control and it was very stable.  We don't have desert winds out here in MA, but we do have hills.  The JKU did well stability-wise, but was underpowered.  It towed fine at lower speeds but at 55 the engine raced.  You should be better off because you have a 2014 with the Pentastar engine, and better gear ratio.  

We traded our JKU in for a Hyundai Santa Fe (long wheelbase version - not Sport) with 5,000 lb towing capacity, and while it is is most definitely not as fun as a JKU, it does tow better.  It is also a more comfortable long distance vehicle for the family.  I was not happy giving up my Jeep, but I'll replace it someday.

I would second techntrek on the WDH and sway control.  Brake control is required.  I used a Tekonsha Prodigy on my Jeep and it worked great.  Was easy to install on the Jeep as well - wires were not hard to find.  Yours may be different because it is newer.  I have a Tekonsha Prodigy RF (wireless) on my Santa Fe, and that also works great.  You can't go wrong with either.

There are people here who tow with a JKU and are happy with it - there are people here who towed with a JKU and traded up to something bigger. I think it really depends on your travel plans and if you're willing to take it easy.  I can't speak for the newer JKUs because I haven't owned one, but I would have welcomed that extra horsepower in my 2011.  For me, trading it in wasn't as much of a choice based on towing ability, rather, on the comfort of the family on long trips.

Hope that helps!
Newsguy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 5:09pm
Dan:
You shouldn't have any problem towing the R-Pod with your Ruby.  I assume it's the longer 4-door model?  I'm towing a 2015 179 with one of the new 2014 Jeep Cherokees with the V6.   Last month I towed it from the Cincinnati area to our home high in the Rocky Mountains. I towed it at 60-65 on the Interstate with absolutely no problems. On the second day of Interstate travel, my wife asked.."is it still back there?"  When we started into the mountains it pulled great and handled wonderfully.  I've towed much heavier trailers over the years using WDH and sway bars.  I was able to hook up the 179 before I bought it and discovered quickly I didn't need the WDH--only a sway bar.  The hitch weight is only 250 pounds and dropped the rear end of my Cherokee only about an inch.  On short trips through the mountains (we do a lot of dry camping), I don't even use the sway bar since we travel at lower speeds.  Hope this helps! BTW, I averaged 12MPG on the 1300 mile trip to the Rockies...a far sight better than the 6-8 I used to get with a Suburban pulling an 8K pound trailer.
Ram 1500
5.7L V-8 Hemi
2015 R-Pod 179
ReiMan1776 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 7:10pm
This is very encouraging. I have my eye on a 2013 177 Hood River edition comes with WDH, cover, loaded for $13,500 so all I have to do is get a brake controller installed. Yes my Rubicon is the 4 door. 
Dan
jan demarinis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 9:49pm
I have a brand new Prodigy P2 controller for sale if you are interested. $100 and I'll pay shipping.
Jan
ReiMan1776 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 11:23pm
Do you have the receipt for warranty if needed. 

Dan
RPodWeGo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 1:30am
Check out the RPod Facebook page.  Several people tow with Rubicon 4door.  One couple just drove up to Alaska. 
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner
unlblkrubi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 9:48am
I've towed our 171 thousands of miles with the 2011 JKUR we had, no problems. Only thing I added was the brake controller. Expect around 10-12 mpg tho and not a lot of power. Like the above poster said, check out the Facebook page, Pods and Jeeps just go together.
Squatchpod
2011 171
2013 Jeep JKUR
horsepwr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 3:26pm
Just completed a 1000 mile trip with 2009 4 door unlimited. Towed fine minor sway with water in the tank and none when empty.
Joe & Denese
2015 Rpod 178
2009 Jeep Unlimited 4x4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>