R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery power - Event Date: 01 Jul 2014 - 06 Oct 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Battery power
    Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 7:32pm
What items in my rpod can run off my batteries.   Will the electrical outlet work?  Is there a special switch
To use the outlets from battery power?  I know the ac won't run.

Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 7:44pm
Your battery will power your r-pod's lights, the water pump and the furnace fan, along with your propane detector.  It will also power your antenna booster and 12v television (very few r-pods are equipped with a 12v television).

Technically, you can also run your fridge on battery, but it will drain the battery in a matter of hours.  This mode is intended for use while you're towing your trailer and power is supplied from your vehicle's alternator.  While dry camping, use propane mode on your fridge (note: the battery is needed while on propane mode to run the fridge's brain, but its a fairly insignificant amount).

Outlets will not work on battery power.  Someone will likely point out that you can add an inverter to provide 120v power, but please research this fully before investing money as you'll find that a lot of things (coffee makers, heaters, hair dryers, toasters, microwave) will deplete your battery in a matter of minutes or hours.

-edit-
I should add that your battery also supplies power to your water heater - but, just for the DSI (automatic spark to light propane).  Like your fridge, use propane for hot water when dry camping.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Alaska-Lady View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 11:14pm
Thank you. I do have a honda eu 2000 gen so I guess I will relie on that for dry camp

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 8:21am
A 2000 w generator probably won't run your air conditioner and you may not be able to turn on the oven and much of anything else at the same time.  Times when you need air conditioning in Alaska may not be that frequent, so you should be fine.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 4:41pm
I have the same generator , a Honda EU2000i. It DOES run my A/C (13,500 btu) BUT BUT BUT..... I must turn off my battery main ( I installed a disconnect marine grade battery switch ).

Well, when the R-Pod is on shore power (plugged into an outlet or a generator, no difference to the pod) the FIRST thing the converter/charger tries to do is CHARGE your battery. Yep, this draws a lot of watts, even if your batteries are at full charge, the charger will try anyway. This somewhat is the straw that breaks the camels back. The little Honda can't charge a battery AND run the A/C simultaneously.

So by disconnecting the battery, the converter charger gives up quick. I run the generator plugged in for about a minute or two to warm up, then turn on the A/C and it starts right up. Give it a try.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

I have the same generator , a Honda EU2000i. It DOES run my A/C (13,500 btu) BUT BUT BUT..... I must turn off my battery main ( I installed a disconnect marine grade battery switch ).

Well, when the R-Pod is on shore power (plugged into an outlet or a generator, no difference to the pod) the FIRST thing the converter/charger tries to do is CHARGE your battery. Yep, this draws a lot of watts, even if your batteries are at full charge, the charger will try anyway. This somewhat is the straw that breaks the camels back. The little Honda can't charge a battery AND run the A/C simultaneously.

So by disconnecting the battery, the converter charger gives up quick. I run the generator plugged in for about a minute or two to warm up, then turn on the A/C and it starts right up. Give it a try.

Interesting. That's cutting it very close. The same trick should be possible by flipping off the circuit breaker for the converter. As I remember the converter is on its own separate breaker, but check it.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 7:48pm
+1 on the converter's main breaker.  Might be the easier solution, although then you are running your lights, etc from the battery.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply