R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedmelted electric connection - Event Date: 04 Jul 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: melted electric connection
    Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 9:16am
Wife and sons hooked up to power for a week in Florida Keys -- A/C very helpful all week!  Driving back stopped in Illinois and went to hook up but one pole on rpod was semi melted and one side of the plug was melted as well.  They still tried hooking it up, but no power to interior or A/C.  She didn`t notice any problem when unhooking.  They`ll be pulling in tomorrow.  Is the outlet on the rpod hard to replace, and can you just change the plug on the cord? 
Earlier in the trip also had a puddle on the floor near/under sink when hooked up to city water -- they`ve been using tank water since then.  I`m getting from the forum that I may need to tighten connection inside wall (under bed).
On the good side, this may help me put off the (house) bathroom remodel a little longer!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 9:24am
I seem to remember our dealer telling us if you plugged into a 20 amp plug instead of a 30 amp plug and tried using the a/C or the microwave/confection oven there would be problems and melting. Not sure if that is what happened. Not sure about the repair part........I usually break the stuff and the dealer usually fixes it!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 10:08am
I would want to know what melted the plug.  You are going to want to test the cord for damage like wires melted together etc.  If it was over-current that melted the plug then you need to know what caused it and why fuses in the Pod didn't blow first.  It could have happened due to arching at the receptacle,  If so you will see discoloration and burning on the plug prong.

Unless you are competent in electricity I would have it looked at by your dealer or by an electrician.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 10:34am
It's a bit hard to fully understand the damage you describe, but it sounds like the result of a loose power cord connection. The pins in the trailer mounted and the cable mounted connectors would both get hot and melt plastic. The twist lock cable connector has to be twisted and locked with the ring to be secure. I'm guessing there was no fault inside the trailer and, therefore, no circuit breaker trips.

The cable mounted connector can be replaced, but that connector is generally the cost driver for the cable. Replace the whole cable.

The melting of the 20 amp part noted by Leo B is when using a cheap 30A to 20A "hockey puck" adapter. Not an issue here.

The water problem? Welcome to Friday afternoon at FR Cry. Many of us have had and fixed similar problems with plumbing.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 11:46pm
I agree, you had an arc due to a loose connection, which heated the metal and then melted everything.  My factory cord did this after a few years, but happily only damaged the cord side and not the plug side on the pod itself.  Replace both in your case.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 8:54am
+1 on loose connection. I had a a 15 to 30 amp adaptor that was loose and arced and in my case melted the conductor. I had to replace the adaptor and the plug. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply