R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking for the right pod for my truck. - Event Date: 15 Jul 2014 - 15 Jan 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Podster View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Looking for the right pod for my truck.
    Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 4:45pm
I currently tow a 178 with a Ranger. It's moot now, but last year the posted tow rating is for the hitch, not the vehicle. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
camby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 11:56am
I have the ability to for sure I have a tongue weight if 1550 and a max pull of 9800lbs. I just don't know if I wanna pull a big rig. I'm renting a pioneer 24bh for a week to see how that goes.
Buying a Pod by 2015 season so my son can have the great memories of camping my wife and I have.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 10:40am
You'll be hauling a 25-footer now!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
camby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 10:03am
So its a year later and I decided in the winter my ford ranger wasn't gonna cut to haul my family so I decided to upgrade my vehicle before getting a rpod. I now have a 2014 supércrew f-150 which will tow any r-pod without breaking a sweat. I now have to wait longer to get the rpod though which sucks but I didn't like the new 2015 f-150 so I made the decision.
Buying a Pod by 2015 season so my son can have the great memories of camping my wife and I have.
camby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 11:20pm
That is a cute unit but I think I can tow the lighter pods fairly easily especially since most my trips will be weekenders. My first choice is 171/177 but im flexible and might wait till fall for more used ones to pop up.
Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 10:17pm
Check out the Lil Snoozy saw one on vacation and they are a neat camper. Can pull with almost anything.
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 7:26pm
Camby, I had a 1991 Toyota class C, it had a great coach, but the chassis left something to be desired.  We bought a V6, thinking it would be much more powerful than the 4 cylinder, one trip through West Texas proved us wrong!  Thirty five mph on a hill wasn't bad, our's would only do about sixty in top gear, (on the level) and only saw ten mpg doing it.  It would keep up with traffic in third gear, (four speed auto)  but the mileage dropped like a rock!  You'll love a 'pod no mater what you pull it with.
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
camby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by camby

Originally posted by David and Danette

The r-pods will slow you down you will know its back there, I agree your truck will tow the r-pods just a little on the slow side. Trucks are made for working so durability should not be a problem.

Im used to going slow my last rig was a 1982 toyota motorhome. 4 cylinder on hills would only do 35mph. It was fun but my it was gutless.Smile

I love those little Toyota "Class C" truck/camper things.. maybe C-, but I do like them. See one around here every once and a while.

I think you will find your ranger will pull OK, won't be fast or quick, but should get there fine. A 171 and a 177 are the same floor plan with/without a slide.. If you don't need bunks, I sure wouldn't buy them. Unless you are handy and want to convert that area in some manner.
Yeah i noticed the plans for the 172 and 176 are also the same. The bunks really make the pod feel small. the reason i wanted them is at home my wife and i sleep in seperate beds. Our son needs one so we would have to share in a 171 177 but it might be worth it.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 11:44am
Originally posted by camby

Originally posted by David and Danette

The r-pods will slow you down you will know its back there, I agree your truck will tow the r-pods just a little on the slow side. Trucks are made for working so durability should not be a problem.

Im used to going slow my last rig was a 1982 toyota motorhome. 4 cylinder on hills would only do 35mph. It was fun but my it was gutless.Smile

I love those little Toyota "Class C" truck/camper things.. maybe C-, but I do like them. See one around here every once and a while.

I think you will find your ranger will pull OK, won't be fast or quick, but should get there fine. A 171 and a 177 are the same floor plan with/without a slide.. If you don't need bunks, I sure wouldn't buy them. Unless you are handy and want to convert that area in some manner.
camby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 10:33am
I went and looked at 2015 172 and liked it but it felt a bit camped probably do to bunk beds and no pop out. Im gonna try to go look at a 2012 177 used this weekend. The only other one near me for sale is a new 177 2014 but cant see it for a few weeks. Im in no hurry to buy one and might even wait till the winter in hopes of getting a better deal. Would like to see a 176 as well but none for sale in my area at the moment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>