R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConnecting a 100 watt solar panel to Zamp port

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting a 100 watt solar panel to Zamp port
    Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Don Halas

Just curious, but I'm guessing that using an SAE plug you could use the Zamp plug as a DC source.

Yes, you could easily use the Zamp port as a 12 volt power source.  Keep in mind that the wire running the 20' or so is just 16 gauge, so I wouldn't recommend pulling more than 10 amps or 120 watts through it.  All you need to plug into it is a universal 2-way connector.  You could then wire this into a 12 volt socket adapter that you could then plug almost anything you wanted in to (i.e. USB charger, small fan, lights, etc.).
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 2:45am
Originally posted by WillThrill

Just curious, but I'm guessing that using an SAE plug you could use the Zamp plug as a DC source.

Yes, you could easily use the Zamp port as a 12 volt power source.  Keep in mind that the wire running the 20' or so is just 16 gauge, so I wouldn't recommend pulling more than 10 amps or 120 watts through it.  All you need to plug into it is a universal 2-way connector.  You could then wire this into a 12 volt socket adapter that you could then plug almost anything you wanted in to (i.e. USB charger, small fan, lights, etc.).

Willthrill if that wire connection is just 16 gauge, I really would be very reluctant use more than 2-3 amps. To run 10 amps at 12.5 volts through 16 gauge wire for 20 feet would give a voltage drop of 1.6 volts (less than 11 volts at the load). 10 amps would work, but not very efficiently. And there is the risk of overheating the wiring.

The following link gives a nice, convenient voltage drop calculator:

Running 2 amps for 20 feet on 16 gauge wire gives a more reasonable voltage drop of just 0.3 volts (less than 3%).

Does anyone know for sure what the wire gauge on that run? 16 gauge seems awfully light, especially for a solar charge connection with up to a 200 watt Zamp solar panel. Also is there any fuse on that run of wire? If not I would definitely add a fuse for electrical and fire safety.

Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Rustler

[QUOTE=WillThrill]

Does anyone know for sure what the wire gauge on that run? 16 gauge seems awfully light, especially for a solar charge connection with up to a 200 watt Zamp solar panel. Also is there any fuse on that run of wire? If not I would definitely add a fuse for electrical and fire safety.

The Zamp wires on our 2016 179 are 10 ga wires.  Yes, they should be fused!
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:37pm
Moving forward with this.

I am considering doing this and running the solar output to a charge controller and directly to the battery forgoing the zamp connector. To do this I'll need to mount the charge controller inside the battery box or at least in a weatherproof enclosure close to the battery.

Because I'm always looking forward and hate re-doing things or wasting money I think I might want to replace the battery box (not the battery) with one large enough for a battery upgrade (the two in series 6volt golf cart type) and to mount the controller say in the lid.

Again, I intend to keep my current 12 volt battery, but would rather upsize the box now in anticipation of a battery upgrade in the future.

Does anyone have any opinion on the size of box I'd need to accommodate the battery upgrade and mounting a charge controller (in as of yet undetermined size) in the box?

As always thanks for feedback.
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 1:23pm
It's not that difficult to mount the controller inside the pod.  
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 2:50pm
I'm hoping not to drill any holes in the Pod itself and since the first panel will be at the front of the pod, going directly to the battery makes sense.

The alternate is going through the zamp connector (or the hole they've already drilled for it) and mounting the charge controller in the storage area behind it. That's the less favored approach.

I've looked for weather proof charge controllers and not seen anything specifically promoted as such. Also, doesn't seem worthwhile to spend a lot on that when an enclosure will not be that expensive.

JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 3:06pm
"I've looked for weather proof charge controllers and not seen anything specifically promoted as such"

I bolted my charge controller, Morningstar “SK-12 SunKeeper” 12 Amp PWM Charge Controller on the side of my battery box. You can see my mod here on page 39 of "List Your mods". The battery box is the biggest I could find, it's an Attwood Corporation 9084-1 Large Battery Box

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=842&PN=39&title=list-your-mods
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 3:11pm
Thanks JandL. Not a great picture, but more importantly is the charge controller supposed to be rain or weather proof? How's it handling the elements?
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 3:53pm
Here is the link to the manufactures web site. It's a sealed unit and I have had no problem. The other advantage with mounting next to the battery I don't have to install any Temperature Compensation.

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/sunkeeper/
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Rustler

Originally posted by WillThrill

Willthrill if that wire connection is just 16 gauge, I really would be very reluctant use more than 2-3 amps. To run 10 amps at 12.5 volts through 16 gauge wire for 20 feet would give a voltage drop of 1.6 volts (less than 11 volts at the load). 10 amps would work, but not very efficiently. And there is the risk of overheating the wiring.

The following link gives a nice, convenient voltage drop calculator:

Running 2 amps for 20 feet on 16 gauge wire gives a more reasonable voltage drop of just 0.3 volts (less than 3%).

I have verified that the wiring to the Zamp port is indeed 10 gauge.  According to the Zamp manual, they say that you can run up to 15 amps of current through this line, depending on which solar panel you have.

15 amps would be about the equivalent power from 200 watts of solar panels.  Yes, the at maximum output, you could theoretically be sending 16.6 amps through the line, but given that solar panels almost never provide their rated output in normal circumstances and the loss of power in the lines going to the charge controller, you would be fine.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>