R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConnecting a 100 watt solar panel to Zamp port

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting a 100 watt solar panel to Zamp port
    Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 3:39am
Originally posted by Don Halas

Moving forward with this.

I am considering doing this and running the solar output to a charge controller and directly to the battery forgoing the zamp connector. To do this I'll need to mount the charge controller inside the battery box or at least in a weatherproof enclosure close to the battery.

Because I'm always looking forward and hate re-doing things or wasting money I think I might want to replace the battery box (not the battery) with one large enough for a battery upgrade (the two in series 6volt golf cart type) and to mount the controller say in the lid.

Again, I intend to keep my current 12 volt battery, but would rather upsize the box now in anticipation of a battery upgrade in the future.

Does anyone have any opinion on the size of box I'd need to accommodate the battery upgrade and mounting a charge controller (in as of yet undetermined size) in the box?

As always thanks for feedback.

Something to keep in mind is that some charge controllers require a certain amount of clearance around the unit for cooling. For instance my Morningstar SSMPPT-15L controller requires a vertical mounting with 6 inches above and below the unit for air circulation. It also cautions against exposure to direct sun, high temperatures and water. 

You might make your decision based on what charge controller you want as well as its requirements for clearance and air circulation.
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 7:39am
Thanks again all.

Gotta do some homework, but the MorningStar chargers look like they'll work nicely with what I'd like to do. It looks like I might be able to mount them to my existing battery box and not worry about trading up on that yet.

I appreciate the input. I'll post some information of the projects progress if I get going on it.

Thanks again.

Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 11:41am
I'm close to pulling the trigger on this. First I've got to see if my current battery box has enough extra space to accommodate the charge controller mounted inside.

I'm planning on mounting one HQST 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Flexible Solar Panel to the roof on the toe side of the Pod. If my approach works I may add a second panel on the rear side at a later date. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017OMTAV6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OFFIBLM4EPOJ&coliid=I180JN9A4WMLPF&psc=1). I'm going to run the wire down the front of the pod directly into the battery box and not use the zamp port on the back. I plan on attaching the panel using 1/2" VHB tape and then using Dicor sealant around the entire panel. Wires will be secured using wire cable clips that I hope will be adequately mounted using command strips. If the command strips fail it shouldn't be a big deal to find a suitable alternative.

I hope to mount a Morningstar SS 20L 12V SunSaver 20 amp 12 volt Solar Charge Controller with LVD controller inside the battery box. It's a little over sized for the one panel, but I believe allows me the option of adding the second panel in series with the first panel. It's supposed to be good for exterior applications. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017OA5DH8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OFFIBLM4EPOJ&coliid=I18UBPLNOQR164)

I'm guessing a 20 amp fuse between the charger and battery should suffice.   

Any thoughts or guidance will, as always be appreciated.

JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 12:09pm
You might want to do a Google search on long term sun exposure to the bendable panels.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 1:01pm
I'd hope they expect long term sun exposure with sun panels.   Description suggests they're more tolerant of the environment.

I won't do this if I need to suitcase or carry panels. I don't want anything else to pack, set-up or secure (theft or weather).

The total investment will be less than $400. $600 if I add a second panel.

Thanks for the thought.

WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 1:54pm

I'm close to pulling the trigger on this. First I've got to see if my current battery box has enough extra space to accommodate the charge controller mounted inside.

I'm planning on mounting one HQST 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Flexible Solar Panel to the roof on the toe side of the Pod. If my approach works I may add a second panel on the rear side at a later date. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017OMTAV6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OFFIBLM4EPOJ&coliid=I180JN9A4WMLPF&psc=1). I'm going to run the wire down the front of the pod directly into the battery box and not use the zamp port on the back. I plan on attaching the panel using 1/2" VHB tape and then using Dicor sealant around the entire panel. Wires will be secured using wire cable clips that I hope will be adequately mounted using command strips. If the command strips fail it shouldn't be a big deal to find a suitable alternative.

I hope to mount a Morningstar SS 20L 12V SunSaver 20 amp 12 volt Solar Charge Controller with LVD controller inside the battery box. It's a little over sized for the one panel, but I believe allows me the option of adding the second panel in series with the first panel. It's supposed to be good for exterior applications. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017OA5DH8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OFFIBLM4EPOJ&coliid=I18UBPLNOQR164)

I'm guessing a 20 amp fuse between the charger and battery should suffice.   

Any thoughts or guidance will, as always be appreciated.

You are correct in that a 20 amp charge controller is overkill for one panel.  A 100 watt panel will, at most, output 8.33 amps (100 watts / 12 volts) of current, and it will likely be less than that because the voltage output of the panels will be closer to 18 volts, so the amperage will be even less.  Also, bendable panels will almost always output less than that of rigid panels because they cannot be angled perfectly to the sun like rigid panels can.

In the OP, I used a 10 amp Sunforce charge controller that has worked perfectly for me, but I understand that in your situation, you want something that is more tolerant of bad weather.  Just be aware that a 20 amp controller is unnecessary for one panel.  If you're wanting to add another panel, then go ahead and get the 20 amp controller.

And yes, bendable solar panels were made to be exposed to sunshine, so they'll be fine.  The biggest drawback I see with mounting solar panels to your Pod is that you must be parked in the sunshine for them to work.  We try to avoid this at all costs in order to keep our Pod cool, but I understand that you don't want to pull out a rigid panel when you want to recharge your batteries.  I personally don't mind it.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 2:23pm
The warranty on my Grape Solar GS-STAR-100W is 10 years, 25 years on > 80% power output and 10 years on >90% power output. There flexible panel PhotoFlex-100W warranty is 2 years, 2 years on 80% power output. That's why I went with the rigid glass covered panel
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by JandL

The warranty on my Grape Solar GS-STAR-100W is 10 years, 25 years on > 80% power output and 10 years on >90% power output. There flexible panel PhotoFlex-100W warranty is 2 years, 2 years on 80% power output. That's why I went with the rigid glass covered panel

That kind of thing is by no means universal in the industry.  Renogy warranties their flexible panels for 25 years at 80% efficiency.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 3:27pm
This is a nice to have for me, rather than a got to have.

We don't have a lot of dry camping planned. The exception will be occasional boondocking and perhaps when my son gets me in music festivals.

My primary reason for this is to not have to drag the extension cords across my driveway while the Pod sits there most of the time. Putting the first panel on the front is strategic since that will be Southern exposure when it's parked in my driveway.

A secondary purpose will be if we are using battery that we might not to be so concerned with it.

So that's why this is either simple, self sustaining and no more hassle or not happening.

Again, thanks for your feedback.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 3:33pm
Angry

So that's why this is either simple, self sustaining and no more hassle or not happening.

+1 +1 +1

As a general philosophy I like that approach. Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>