R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed171 or 178

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Terryg View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 171 or 178
    Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 1:09pm

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.  My Highlander has a tow limit of 3500 lbs.  I also had a transmission cooler installed around 8 months ago. 

We have owned 3 motor homes and 3 travel trailers in the past and have never experienced a slideout.   This is what makes the 178 more attractive.   I like what you have to say concerning slideouts.

I am curious to know why FR designed the smaller 171 with larger holding tanks.  Maybe something to do with the slideout.
Thanks again!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:57am
178 is easily twice the trailer of a 171. If your tow vehicle can tow one, it can tow the other, they both have a 3500 pound weight limit.

We have camped directly next to a 171, which is the same floor plan as ours, but without the slide. I seriously doubt we will ever have a TT without a slide again. The difference in feel and useability between the two is amazing, considering it only adds about 10sqft.

5-10% difference in holding tank size is not going to be noticeable in actual use I think.
Terryg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 10:08am

Hi,

I just wanted to get some feedback on choosing an Ri-POD.  The 171 appeals to me because the cost is lower, less weight concerning my tow vehicle (06 Toyota Highlander 6 cyl.), and 35 gal black and grey tanks.

The 178 appeals because of more room, and slideout.  It's 30 gal black and grey are appealing, but not as much as 35 gal. 

Camping will consist of my wife and I only.  We are on the small side in body built (size does matter).  Our last camper was a Casita 17.  We decided this time we wanted a TT with a bed we could leave down and a good size dinette table, and a little more outside storage.

Thanks,
Terryg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12