Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProfessional RV Survey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Professional RV Survey
    Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 12:02pm
Seems to be quite a season for new RV purchases. Lot's of new owners, lot's of new questions, lot's of new (and old) problems.

I was just curious this morning if there was a professional group, organization or even individuals who offer their service(s) as a professional RV Surveyor (inspector). This is very common in the marine industry and required by many insurance and/or financing organizations. Yes, I realize the investment is considerably more than the typical rPod, but everything is relative.

I came across this: http://www.rvsurvey.com/

Interesting. A $300.00 survey for a $50,000.00+ coach seems very reasonable. I would like to see some references. The DIY checklist looks interesting and could be easily be adopted for use on a small TT like the rPod.

In the marine industry a new or used a professional survey could save thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars in the long run.

I'm kind of surprised I didn't come across a lot more folks advertising their services to survey a new or used RV purchase and offer a detailed report. I know there are quite a few folks right here in this forum that would be very good at it and would probably have saved quite a few folks right here from costly oversights, mistakes or a bad purchase negotiation.

If someone was local to you and would offer their services as surveyor or independent agent, would you consider it? Say a pre-purchase walk-thru and written report for $100.00. Would that have been worth it to you?

Just curious.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 12:17pm
I would go for that, as long as the guy was a pro......could either find something wrong or give you piece of mind for the purchase.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 6:04pm
At this point, I feel confident in my own abilities to recognize and diagnose RV structural and systems-related issues that I wouldn't care to pay someone else to do so.  For a motorhome, particularly diesel, then yes I may ask a mechanic I trust to have a good look at the engine and drivetrain.

But, on the other hand, if the surveyor offers to insure the RV (obviously the price would be much higher than $100) against issues he missed in his report... perhaps.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 6:31pm
Yeah Outbound. Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't for a small TT.

But, when we first purchased I would have considered it, especially had I not lurked this place for a couple of months prior, and would definitely consider it for a 5er or MH.

Prolly gonna be tough to find any RV surveyor, home inspector or marine surveyor that will guarantee a report ( http://www.marinesurvey.org/faqs.html ) but LLoyds will be happy to sell you whatever kind of insurance you want! Wink

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply