R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2010 RPod 171 Smell? - Event Date: 13 Aug 2014 - 01 Aug 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 2010 RPod 171 Smell?
    Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 11:39pm
Would u describe the smell as chemical/off gassing-like? Do u think the smell is related to the products used to build it?
What have u tried to do to get rid of the smell besides leave the door open? Have u heard of any other 2009/2010 RPod owners having this complaint?
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 4:19am
   Our Vibe too has a smell and believe it is from the materials the camper is made from. This is probably true with just about all campers. I am no chemist but I am sure there are many different chemicals used in construction. Its the same with a house electronic equipment material used for our clothes, carpet, drapes etc. all have a chemical smell. Campers have more of a closed up space for longer periods of time. As has been said try to let your camper be aired out when possible.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

3ofUs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 8:08am
We have a 2011 182G. We continue to have a unknown smell that disappears after the camper has been opened up. I've sprayed odor neutralizers on fabric area. Also keeping a room freshener called fresh linen in camper and finally this week, I added some solution for freshening gray water tank. Camper is currently in storage under lock and key and we left the windows and door opened to see if that helps. Also, owner of storage paved our unit's floor to reduce moisture problems. At some point we will have resolution or live with it.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 8:10am
Our plastic/rubber shower hose stinks a lot of the time.  i've meant to replace it with something for years now but just haven't bothered.

but that smells very chemical rubbery to us.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 8:13am
I'm sensitive to offgassing.  After we had the exterior of our house replaced, which made it air-tight, we then had to add a whole-house ventillation system because I would get an odd nauseating headache within an hour of coming home from work.  There wasn't any odd smell either.  That stopped once we added the ventillation system.

I didn't notice any odd smell in the pod in the first year or two before the sewage smell appeared, and I never got any headaches.  However, I always store it with the vent and a window cracked open (which didn't help with the sewage smell).  So any fumes would be vented.

If you have a sewage smell, there are several things you can check.  One is the lower toilet seal as I mentioned in my last post.  Another is the flush valve, but if it holds water then it is ok.  Another is an interior vent on the drain plumbing, hidden behind the cabinetry.  Another is loose joints on the drain plumbing - ours came lose under the sink about a year after we got ours and it dumped sink water all over the place.  They aren't glued joints, they screw together, so the good news is it is easy to fix once you track them all down.  The bad news is they loosen up too easily.  Many others here have said they found lose joints under the shower and/or sink.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 9:55am
Ours don't smell like sewer gases. I guess you might say something like off gases from foam rubber??????? 

Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

StrongPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 3:41pm
Sounds like campers smell:) Probably due to poor ventilation, or construction materials, or septic issues. The solution seems to ventilate as much as possible& accept what u cant change:)
StrongPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 2:54pm
A friend stepped n my 2009/2110 Rpod 171& thought the smell was most like the chemical Bromine that she uses n her hot tub. I read that Bromine is often used n flame resistant materials. Does anyone have any thoughts on the smell coming from a Bromine chemical? Or any thoughts on what changed when the most recent campers had the tag "Eco" built on them?
3ofUs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 3:12pm
We have been fighting a smell since August 2011 when we purchased our used 2011 182G. We keep it in a storage facility for boats and rvs. The building had a dirt floor and recently was paved in concrete. We were advised by the owner to leave the windows and door open since it was in a locked space and maybe it was a situation of needing ventilation. We have done that and 7 days later we stopped in and the only smell is the room freshener linen. So we are thinking keeping it closed up creates the smell since we don't notice the smell when we are camping.
StrongPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 3:20pm
Is ur camper considered "Eco" built with that sign on it? I wondered if the "green" built campers also smell? If so, then the smell would appear to be poor ventilation, not from construction materials?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>