R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Anti-Sway bars - Event Date: 27 Aug 2014 - 31 Aug 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rickincambridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Anti-Sway bars
    Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 9:00pm
I've got a 2011 Ford Explorer with a towing package and 6,800 pound towing capacity. Do I need anti-sway bars and a different hitch installed like the R Pod dealer recommended?
rickincambridge
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 5:45am
You are well within your tow vehicle weight limits. It will really depend on your towing experience and comfort level.
Happy Podding!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 9:27am
Yes, you will be fine. 

We're planning a trip to the west coast, and some friends and fellow podders who've made that trip suggested that due to potential high crosswinds we might want to add a single sway bar before crossing the mountain ranges between there and Michigan. Cost for the sway bar and hitch adapter plate was $70 delivered from eTrailer.

We've never had any serious issues with a simple bumper hitch, but after installing the sway bar, the wiggle we got in the occasional crosswind or when being passed by a semi has been eliminated. So depending on where you plan to tow, this may be something you want to consider.

With your vehicle a weight distribution hitch shouldn't be needed. I don't have one on my pickup.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Newsguy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Newsguy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 11:28am
I'm towing our 179 with a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with a 4500lb tow rating.  No need for weight distribution hitch due to low tongue weight.  Installed an anti-sway bar...and I have yet to feel any wiggle even when passing a semi.  We just towed it across I-70 from Cincinnati to the Rocky Mountains.  My favorite quote is from my wife...."Is it still back there?"
Ram 1500
5.7L V-8 Hemi
2015 R-Pod 179
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 1:56pm
Need anti-sway?  No.  I towed my r-pod for almost 2 years without a sway bar.  However, after one particularly long, gusty/windy drive with the trailer fishtailing behind me, I decided that a sway bar might be a good idea.  It really was; I now won't go without anti-sway.  Honestly, it does make driving much more relaxed.

Now, weight distribution may be a different story.  Check the spec on your r-pod (different models have different tongue weights) and on your truck (you are aware that tongue weight and tow capacity are different things, right?).  If you're close (or over), definitely get a WDH.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 8:52pm
My story is the same as Outbound's - about 2 years w/o anything until one very windy day.  At the time I had a Sienna so I took care of 2 problems and got a WDH that includes sway control.  A world of difference in ride quality with the WDH acting as an additional suspension system.  When I moved to my current TV I tried half a trip w/o and half a trip with my WDH and have always used it since.  Still rides better with it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Trinityfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Trinityfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 1:36pm
Just picked up my 179 and drove it the 50 miles home. Dealer said I wouldn't need weight distrubution or anti sway. After reading the above info I am def thinking about getting anti sway. Advice would be welcome

Tow vehicle is a 2011 Toyota Tundra 4.6 V8 with factory tow package

What do you all think? How much should I pay?

Thanks in advance

Joe and Diane, pups Jenny and Tyke. RPod named Lilly.
Alive and well deep in the toolies of Norther Calif
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 2:31pm
I've got a Husky friction sway bar.  http://www.huskytow.com/product/sway-control/ .  But there's one from Reese thats essentially the same.

Purchased it from my local dealer (Campkins in Whitby) for about $80.  Most any dealer who sells small trailers (e.g. popup/tent trailers) will carry them.  The install was reasonably simple: I had to drill 6 holes in my trailer tongue for self-tapping screws - I recommend a titanium bit to make it easier.  Also, I had to have a metal tab (included with the sway bar) welded to my hitch - which my dealer was able to do for $20 cash.  Note that friction bars are left-sided or right-sided, so make sure you have the tab welded (and drill those mounting holes) on the correct side.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Budward View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Budward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 5:20pm
Here is the one I use-   it is on sale for $29.99 (normally $34.99) and if you look you can find a 20% off coupon pretty easily.
It is universal- can be mounted left or right.

http://www.harborfreight.com/trailer-sway-control-kit-96462.html
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
NormanHill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote NormanHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:46pm
Get the sway control. One side should be fine for the pod. The need for a WD hitch depends on how big your vehicle is compared to the trailer. My F150 didn't need WD, but after experiencing some sway from these single axle trailers I'm now a believer in adding it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>