R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDometic Air Conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dometic Air Conditioner
    Posted: 21 May 2019 at 1:09pm
The device tgat I installed that is known to work with the Honda EU2000I is the one StephenH references.

As StephenH says, don’t expect the Honda to run anything else at the same time. It might run the charger simultaneously if your batteries are pretty well charged but not if they’re low and the charger is drawing a lot of power. It’s possible that it might not run the a/c if it’s a hot day and you’re at a high altitude. In those conditions it will still start the a/c but it might trip the breaker on the Honda or bog it down which will cause the easystart to shut the a/c compressor off.

StephenH, there are many reports of even 3kw genies not reliably starting the dometic a/c’s. It can draw upwards of 40A starting current without the soft start system. From what I’ve read you need to be about 3500w to be confident of starting it under worst case (hot, high) conditions.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:58pm

I installed one in ours and it makes starting it with our Generac iX2000 much easier. Depending on the state of battery charge,  if the converter is having to charge the battery, the generator might still bog down. I have had to switch the converter off a couple of times. With a more powerful generator, that would not be necessary.

Fred, With the generator you have, you should not need the Easy Start. Do you have experience that your generator had problems running the AC without it?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:58pm
Has anyone just added a "traditional" window style AC unit to the back of an R-pod? Those seem (mostly) to be whisper quiet. The only issue is that you would have to cut a pretty big hole in the back of your R-pod..
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:35pm
offgrid put one in and has said it works well with his Honda 2,000.   I put in one of another design and it works fine when plugged into shore power, but it's not been hot enough to test it with my 3,200/2,000 Champion inverter generator.  We're still getting snow in the mountains today through Thurs.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
br23mat8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:15am
I have a 178 RPOD. My Hona 2000 will not run the AC. Has anyone installed one of those Easy Start units in their 178 AC and if so where do I order one for my unit; thanks Myrt
br23mat8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:13am
jan demarinis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 11:59pm
My solution- If I really need the a/c, I read (forget the tv), earplugs and melatonin to help me sleep. just sayin'.
2014 178 HRE
The Podyssey
2013 BMW X3 35i
Prodigy RF Brake Controller
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 11:45pm
Years of sleeping in a bunk with a reefer 18 inches behind you I think that the A/C in the POD is great. Once I am out that's it till morning. Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 8:26pm
The Mach 8 is the one I would replace mine with, and have seriously considered it.  However, as I mention on page 6 of this thread (link below) I took several steps which has helped with the sound problem.  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1433&title=possible-replacement-for-the-a-c
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
3ofUs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 6:54pm
I talked to Forest River today with a parts order and questioned the Dometic A/C. I was told to call back on Wednesday and speak with Rodney. Supposedly, no one has complained about the Dometic A/C. Amy feels there is something else going on. With regards to other A/C units, we have had motor homes prior to retirement and if we were sitting in the living space, the one in the bedroom ran. At bedtime, the A/C was turned off and living area was turned on. There are other improvements I would like to have installed, i.e. MaxAir Vent in bathroom, so we will probably have to just deal with it for now. Thanks for responding.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>