R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBought a camper (isn't a pod)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought a camper (isn't a pod)
    Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 8:55pm
We made a break-in trip this weekend.  Time in the woods to figure out where everything should go and make sure everything works in the real world.  Everything worked, at one point using the A/C, then the heater overnight.  My wife and kids made it clear they love it - both in words and when we were all hanging out inside on the sofa and dinnette, reading, while it rained Saturday morning.  I'll admit that was nice.  It was also nice easily getting out of bed in the middle of the night, and taking a shower w/o knocking into any walls.  We also went to Wal-Mart in the rain and came back with 4 flavors of ice cream which easily fit in the freezer (which maintained 6 F!), which we ate after dinner.  Some of it - not all.  Big smile

A few downsides we discovered.  I knew the pod was quiet inside, but I didn't realize just how soundproof it is.  The Salem is maybe half as soundproof - not bad, just not as good as the pod.  So passing trucks are more noticeable, and the roof is a bit louder in the rain.  Ironically there is as much counter space as the 171.  This has the old-style manual water heater and not electronic ignition like the pods (or the electric element).  Plus all the things that need to be fixed, but most of that wasn't a surprise.

A good trip.  I felt a little guilty on Saturday as we hung out inside, I felt like we had become "one of those people" we laughed at that stay inside their big rigs all day, BUT in our defense we only did it when it was raining.  Now to start fixing things...
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Bulldogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 9:08pm
Wow! So much space! Love it.

David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 4:55pm
   It looks big enough to think about retirement and being a snowbird to spend your winters in the sunshine state, Florida! All the room is a big change from a r-pod your family will love the extra space.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 9:15am
LOL, that will definitely hone your backing skills.  I'm really good at backing trailers but I definitely don't want to do such a long maneuver very often.  So I may be breaking out my chain saw and getting some deliveries of crushed stone sooner rather than later.

I forgot to mention one relatively minor downside to this camper.  The pod spoiled me with electronic ignition (DSI) on the water heater and the electric element.  Unbelievably this camper has the same non-DSI heater we had in our 1997 popup.  It was a real pain getting the pilot light lit on that thing.

We found out just how excited our girls are.  I came home yesterday to find them doing their homework in it!  Even though the slide out wasn't extended, it wasn't plugged in so no A/C or lights (the battery connections were corroded off which I fixed yesterday evening), and it is very unlevel where I parked it the other night.  Their books had to have been sliding off the table every few minutes.  When I told my wife she laughed her butt off.
psikes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 10:29pm
When we had our 23 foot Tahoe we had to back up about 300 feet of winding gravel driveway. Believe me, after a few of those there wasn't a back in spot I feared!

2015 178 TV 2014 Honda Pilot Touring
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 9:35pm
That's a pretty nice floorplan!!
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 9:18pm
Looks like it has a ton of room!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 9:12pm
My older daughter already asked if she can bring 2 friends this weekend, but we want to settle in with just the 4 of us, first.

Definitely bigger than the pod, although ironically it is the same size as the popup we had before the pod.  At least that folded down to about 15 feet for towing.

Not the same fabric pattern, and this one is a year older, but this will give you the layout:
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 8:28pm
Talk about jumping from the tiny to the tremendous! That will take some getting used to. Good luck on your new project, Doug. Our Camplite 21 also requires us to open the slide a bit for potty access. I thought it would be a problem, but turns out to be no big deal. Ours only takes 5 seconds or less for a partial open. Yours looks like it would take more, but you'll get used to it.  A small belt size helps. Tongue

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 6:04pm
Cool!   Had to laugh at putting the slide part way out to use the bathroom on the road...

When we were r-pod shopping we looked at a CampLite that required one of the beds to be folded up halfway to get the bathroom door open!  I don't think so....
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>