R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBought a camper (isn't a pod)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought a camper (isn't a pod)
    Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 10:35pm
Congrats on your new acquisition.  Use it in good health.  Isn't it amazing what you can do with all that towing power.  Sure opens a lot of opportunities.  I often reflect on our Suburban.  Only problem is it ate us out of house and home with its poor gas mileage.  We had the 454 V8 with 4.11 rear.  Could pull anything I could afford to put behind it.  Alas, it has found other good homes, I hope.  Did replace the front buckets with Recaro's because of my back.  Made driving that locomotive a pure joy.  Could drive for many hours without any stiffness.  Oh, those were the days.  In any event, enjoy your new toy and you and the family take it on many memorable trips.  I can tell you from experience, the kids grow up very quickly, and heading out with the parents for a summer trip is very un-teenage like.  Possibly you and the family could join us next year for the 2015 Pacific NW Roundup.  Sonny made it this year all the way from Alberta.  Safe Travels.  
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 8:28pm
Oh, Outbound, you may remember you introduced me to the pods, 5 years ago.  So our pod experience all started with your 2009 171.  Broken Heart
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 6:22pm
About $300 (US)!  Tempting. 

Thanks.
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 6:21pm
Doug, I'm definitely jealous - of the additional space and getting a great deal on something you want to spend time fixing-up.  Have you checked the price on a new DSI water heater yet Wink?

Congratulations!
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 5:39pm
I've started repairs and cleanup.  Vacuuming heating vents and slide-out roof, diagnosing an electrical problem.  Ordered $122 in parts today - new stainless steel cargo and man door catches, LED lights for every fixture, propane hose.  Forgot to order a new city water connection and a battery cutoff switch...

Oh, also ordered 2 exterior lights (white work lights) and a marker light.

Edit 2:  ... and two tail lights like I had installed high-up on the back of the pod.  I'll do the same for the Salem.
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 1:18pm
A quick note about aluminum-sided trailers.  Back in 1994 we had a bad hail storm in central Illinois.  I was looking for a TT and found a new 26 foot Nomad with slide that had been peppered pretty badly by hail.  I bought it as is, providing the RV dealer ordered all the necessary aluminum siding to replace the aluminum skin on the front, back and both sides.  It took me about 2 weeks of my spare time to strip the outside of the trailer and replace all of the aluminum panels.  I made a sizable profit when I traded that trailer for a new trailer in 1997.  The lesson learned is to think twice about buying a TT with aluminum skin if you live in an area subject to severe hail storms.  My last 2 motor homes and 4 travel trailers have all had fiberglass exteriors.

If I ran across a bargain like Doug did, I would probably buy it any how.  The chances of hail damage is very slight, but  it can happen.

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by David

Congratulations on the new camper! It looks like a winner to me. I'm speculating that the more you use it, the more you will like it. I noticed more noise when going from my RP173 to my Coleman. When it rains, it sounds like a great cosmic dump truck is dumping a load of pea gravel on my roof. It is flat with 1 1/2 inches of insulation.

I like the siding also. Having lived with aluminum and gel-coat fiberglass, I think like the aluminum better.

I wouldn't care for the bunks, either. But I see an opportunity for creativity, once the young'uns are gone. If it were mine, I could see removing the bunks and putting my ham radio station in the spot...I know you'll think of something.  

I was just thinking this weekend that I would prefer the fiberglass.  At least on this camper, the aluminum dents way too easily, which I found out when a bike lightly bumped it.

Take out the bunks, put in a hot tub.  Big smile
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

You finally have a larger shower! Happy that you and your family are enjoying your new camper. Did your TV have any difficulty towing the heavier trailer? 

There is a definite difference on steep grades on back roads, this one is 6000 pounds empty so probably 6800 with all of our stuff, water, LPG, etc.  I wouldn't want to go heavier with this vehicle.  I haven't had the chance to experience a steep grade at highway speeds yet.  Even before this sudden purchase I had already purchased an oil cooler which I need to install, I noticed higher oil temps than I was getting with the pod.  So it will be a must-have on the long slogs over mountains (I"ve already added an additional tranny cooler).  Even though my TV came with the heavy-duty towing package which includes additional coolers.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 8:46am
Congratulations on the new camper! It looks like a winner to me. I'm speculating that the more you use it, the more you will like it. I noticed more noise when going from my RP173 to my Coleman. When it rains, it sounds like a great cosmic dump truck is dumping a load of pea gravel on my roof. It is flat with 1 1/2 inches of insulation.

I like the siding also. Having lived with aluminum and gel-coat fiberglass, I think like the aluminum better.

I wouldn't care for the bunks, either. But I see an opportunity for creativity, once the young'uns are gone. If it were mine, I could see removing the bunks and putting my ham radio station in the spot...I know you'll think of something.     
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 7:51am
   You finally have a larger shower! Happy that you and your family are enjoying your new camper. Did your TV have any difficulty towing the heavier trailer? 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>