R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBought a camper (isn't a pod)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought a camper (isn't a pod)
    Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 10:29pm
When we had our 23 foot Tahoe we had to back up about 300 feet of winding gravel driveway. Believe me, after a few of those there wasn't a back in spot I feared!

2015 178 TV 2014 Honda Pilot Touring
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 9:15am
LOL, that will definitely hone your backing skills.  I'm really good at backing trailers but I definitely don't want to do such a long maneuver very often.  So I may be breaking out my chain saw and getting some deliveries of crushed stone sooner rather than later.

I forgot to mention one relatively minor downside to this camper.  The pod spoiled me with electronic ignition (DSI) on the water heater and the electric element.  Unbelievably this camper has the same non-DSI heater we had in our 1997 popup.  It was a real pain getting the pilot light lit on that thing.

We found out just how excited our girls are.  I came home yesterday to find them doing their homework in it!  Even though the slide out wasn't extended, it wasn't plugged in so no A/C or lights (the battery connections were corroded off which I fixed yesterday evening), and it is very unlevel where I parked it the other night.  Their books had to have been sliding off the table every few minutes.  When I told my wife she laughed her butt off.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 4:55pm
   It looks big enough to think about retirement and being a snowbird to spend your winters in the sunshine state, Florida! All the room is a big change from a r-pod your family will love the extra space.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Bulldogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 9:08pm
Wow! So much space! Love it.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 8:55pm
We made a break-in trip this weekend.  Time in the woods to figure out where everything should go and make sure everything works in the real world.  Everything worked, at one point using the A/C, then the heater overnight.  My wife and kids made it clear they love it - both in words and when we were all hanging out inside on the sofa and dinnette, reading, while it rained Saturday morning.  I'll admit that was nice.  It was also nice easily getting out of bed in the middle of the night, and taking a shower w/o knocking into any walls.  We also went to Wal-Mart in the rain and came back with 4 flavors of ice cream which easily fit in the freezer (which maintained 6 F!), which we ate after dinner.  Some of it - not all.  Big smile

A few downsides we discovered.  I knew the pod was quiet inside, but I didn't realize just how soundproof it is.  The Salem is maybe half as soundproof - not bad, just not as good as the pod.  So passing trucks are more noticeable, and the roof is a bit louder in the rain.  Ironically there is as much counter space as the 171.  This has the old-style manual water heater and not electronic ignition like the pods (or the electric element).  Plus all the things that need to be fixed, but most of that wasn't a surprise.

A good trip.  I felt a little guilty on Saturday as we hung out inside, I felt like we had become "one of those people" we laughed at that stay inside their big rigs all day, BUT in our defense we only did it when it was raining.  Now to start fixing things...
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 7:51am
   You finally have a larger shower! Happy that you and your family are enjoying your new camper. Did your TV have any difficulty towing the heavier trailer? 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 8:46am
Congratulations on the new camper! It looks like a winner to me. I'm speculating that the more you use it, the more you will like it. I noticed more noise when going from my RP173 to my Coleman. When it rains, it sounds like a great cosmic dump truck is dumping a load of pea gravel on my roof. It is flat with 1 1/2 inches of insulation.

I like the siding also. Having lived with aluminum and gel-coat fiberglass, I think like the aluminum better.

I wouldn't care for the bunks, either. But I see an opportunity for creativity, once the young'uns are gone. If it were mine, I could see removing the bunks and putting my ham radio station in the spot...I know you'll think of something.     
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

You finally have a larger shower! Happy that you and your family are enjoying your new camper. Did your TV have any difficulty towing the heavier trailer? 

There is a definite difference on steep grades on back roads, this one is 6000 pounds empty so probably 6800 with all of our stuff, water, LPG, etc.  I wouldn't want to go heavier with this vehicle.  I haven't had the chance to experience a steep grade at highway speeds yet.  Even before this sudden purchase I had already purchased an oil cooler which I need to install, I noticed higher oil temps than I was getting with the pod.  So it will be a must-have on the long slogs over mountains (I"ve already added an additional tranny cooler).  Even though my TV came with the heavy-duty towing package which includes additional coolers.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by David

Congratulations on the new camper! It looks like a winner to me. I'm speculating that the more you use it, the more you will like it. I noticed more noise when going from my RP173 to my Coleman. When it rains, it sounds like a great cosmic dump truck is dumping a load of pea gravel on my roof. It is flat with 1 1/2 inches of insulation.

I like the siding also. Having lived with aluminum and gel-coat fiberglass, I think like the aluminum better.

I wouldn't care for the bunks, either. But I see an opportunity for creativity, once the young'uns are gone. If it were mine, I could see removing the bunks and putting my ham radio station in the spot...I know you'll think of something.  

I was just thinking this weekend that I would prefer the fiberglass.  At least on this camper, the aluminum dents way too easily, which I found out when a bike lightly bumped it.

Take out the bunks, put in a hot tub.  Big smile
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 1:18pm
A quick note about aluminum-sided trailers.  Back in 1994 we had a bad hail storm in central Illinois.  I was looking for a TT and found a new 26 foot Nomad with slide that had been peppered pretty badly by hail.  I bought it as is, providing the RV dealer ordered all the necessary aluminum siding to replace the aluminum skin on the front, back and both sides.  It took me about 2 weeks of my spare time to strip the outside of the trailer and replace all of the aluminum panels.  I made a sizable profit when I traded that trailer for a new trailer in 1997.  The lesson learned is to think twice about buying a TT with aluminum skin if you live in an area subject to severe hail storms.  My last 2 motor homes and 4 travel trailers have all had fiberglass exteriors.

If I ran across a bargain like Doug did, I would probably buy it any how.  The chances of hail damage is very slight, but  it can happen.

2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>