R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp Grounds > Free or Cheap Camping Sites
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBoondocking web site

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boondocking web site
    Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 2:04pm
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 7:11pm
And another, mentioned by someone here recently.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 9:12pm
We used the ulitmatecampgrounds site several times on our recent 30 day out west trip..found us a couple of BLM and BoR campgrounds for single night on the move stays.

I'd never heard of BoR before that trip-  Bureau of Reclamation, part of the Department of Interior, same parent of the National Park Service and Bureau of Land Management.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
kylekai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 2:41pm
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 5:52pm
I just looked, and ultimate campgrounds is  incorrect at several campground listings in the NW Wy area around YNP that I know very well. 
I would recommend getting a "Moon handbook" for each of the western states you are headed to for much more camping info, and they are highly accurate and interesting to read. 
kylekai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 5:56pm
The Ultimate Campground app and campground list is updated monthly, mostly from people submitting corrections.  If you have any corrections, please use the contact page:
and you'll see your corrections in the next release.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 8:04pm
+1.  I found a campground that wasn't on their list, emailed them, received an email back asking for more info, and it was added the next month.
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 8:42pm
Not my job to correct their web site.  I would go there for info that helps me, not the other way around.  Inaccurate info is worse than no info.  Plus it's more fun to just go explore and figure it out yourself. 
Most of their shown State land camping icons in the Cody to Yellowstone to Montana area of NW Wy are wrong.  Some are illegal to even camp on like on the lower Clarks fork river, some aren't even State camping areas like Swamp lake on the Shoshone forest.  That's a guest ranch  and it's a USFS lease and you can't camp in their parking lot.  There is no Upper Clarks fork river Game and Fish camping area, that is on forest land and is a pull off along the highway where people camp.  The Sunlight Game and fish areas are wrong.  It's a mess.  It is mostly the State of Wyo areas that are wrong. 

Wyoming state trust owned lands are illegal to camp on statewide. 
Wyoming Game and Fish lands do offer opportunity, but you need to find out the details first. 
BOR and BLM are open unless noted otherwise. 
Forest Service lands in NW Wy have area specific restrictions. 
NPS lands are, well, they are their own country almost.  They do whatever they want to do, and mostly around Yellowstone they don't like people.  Camp there after reading all the small print.
The NW Wy camping areas are something you can get off of any forest service, NPS, or State lands web site.   Go to the source.
Ultimate boondocking is not a compelling or worthy link to me if I have to edit it to make it correct. 
Get a Moon handbook and then you've got something, and no, I have no financial connection or other oblique interest in moon guides. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 11:18am
It doesn't matter what source you use (books, gov't or private websites), someone needs to make corrections to that information over time as things change.  The owner of the ultimate campgrounds guide started out compiling as much information as he could from public sites, books etc. but relies on the best source - those of us out there in the wild - to continue that process. 
You don't have to help them, sure, they are a for-profit outift and that is giving them free info/labor.  However, by submitting new info that helps everyone that uses it.

Your recommended substitutes - government websites and books - are even less reliable.  The NPS and other gov't agencies are severely short of funds and personnel right now after years of budget cuts.  Keeping data on campsites up-to-date on a web page that 10 people visit each month is not high priority.  Books are worse since that information is locked in place as of when it was sent to the editor and can't be updated (unless they print a new book next year and you buy it, again). 

Websites/apps can have their source data changed immediately.

kylekai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 11:53am
Very well said techntrek!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>