R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAll Pod owners please read !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Pod owners please read !
    Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 10:58am
This is a letter that we sent to Forest River of all the problems we've experienced. 

Hello Rodney,

I’m sending you this email to make you and forest river aware of some of the issues that pod owners are experiencing. We took ownership of a 2015 171 R-Pod in August and just like many owners, we have experienced many situations that could have been avoided by workers and quality control.

1. Black caulking smeared on top of the roof (looks like someone used the pod as a rag).
2. TV with pixels messed up, (TV has been replaced).
3. Bathroom sink not attached with screws on one side or screws stripped out and not caulked.
4. Microwave put in to high that the bottom middle screw is just hanging and not connecting to any wood.
5. Cabinet doors put on crooked and barely covering opening of cabinet at top.
6. Chips and scratches in the wood cabinets, also (chunk of wood missing under frig.)
7. Kitchen table messed up with scratches and edge all messed up, ( this was replaced with a new table).
8. Screen door not aligned correctly causing a 1/4”-1/2” gap at the top inside right, (bugs coming in).
9. Water pump not screwed down with all 4 screws or stripped screws.
10. Finding bags, wrappers and cut zip ties under cabinets and laying by wires and stuck in caulking.
11. Finding enough loose screws to build a child's doll house.  Especially near electrical wires ( converter) !
12. Sawdust like the pod came through a saw mill !!

These are all the problems that we have come across and the major ones our dealer has taken care of. 
We are not the only owners that have come across these problems.

Even though we’ve had these problems, we love the pod and are very happy with it and our dealer.

It’s just a shame that owners have to experience any of these avoidable problems.

We know you mass produce these and that things slip by, but that should not make it right to ship something out like this.
Also for workers to leave bags and loose screws that could possible cause a fire or some other hazards to happen.

I’m sure you have already seen these websites http://rpod-owners.com/ & http://www.rpodnation.com/.

We hope future pod owners don’t have to experience these problems and can just enjoy the experience of the POD.

Thank you,
Pat & Viki McCartney

Everything Happens 4 A Reason

Pat & Viki McCartney
2015 171 {2McPods}
2014 F150
Pittsburgh, Pa
kylekai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 12:28pm
Great letter!  I hope you get a response.  I emailed Rodney a few weeks ago and never received a reply of any sort.  
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 3:24pm
   When we bought our Vibe the construction of the dinette was pitiful my mothers comment was shabby work. The seats from just sitting collapsed and neither one of us are over 170 lbs. in weight. I rebuilt the dinette and sent pictures of the pitiful construction to the production manager. He agreed is was poorly constructed and said they were building them better now. For the price we bought the camper for it was worth it to repair and fix up the way we like it. But I agree it is sad customers work hard to pay for a camper that is so poorly constructed. I think some of the workers and managers are just there for a pay check and could care less about the quality of their work.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 7:20pm
Tempting to completely build one from the frame up, to be sure it is laid out exactly as wanted - and built with quality.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Tempting to completely build one from the frame up, to be sure it is laid out exactly as wanted - and built with quality.

Novel idea!  It's done with airplanes all the time.  Wonder if anyone has ever attempted a kit-built TT.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
mtbmitch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:58am
You have a great idea for a kit build  TT. I looked at building a ground up trailer last year using modern materials. Carbon fiber ribs are not that expensive these days along with an aluminum floor/carbon fiber.
I figure one could save close to 500 pounds off an rpod if cabinets were incorporated into the structure and
using materials as stated above. Plus the modular it is, the quicker it could be assembled. 
enjoy the fresh air
 Post Reply Post Reply