R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRhino Flex storage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhino Flex storage
    Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 12:37pm
Self tappers sink perfectly into the frame.  No pilot hole needed with the 1/4", use medium speed on the drill, until you break through, then slow it down.  Thinner ones, like #10 or #8 are more fragile, so may need pilots in thicker material like the frame, but the 1/4" is fine.  Yes, you need to push hard when drilling.  The tube doesn't seem to sag much, they design it to go wide, the frame rails on my pod are 63 or 64 inches apart I believe.  I needed the middle sized one, it was $57 shipped.
2012 181G
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by techntrek

When I mounted mine I drilled pilot holes into the frame first.

Tech, you have the same slider tube? Did you have to support it in the middle?
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

The hoses are easy to cut.  Pack as much in the storage tube as you can an cut off the rest.

TT

True, but is that going to leave you with enough hose? I think the factory storage in like 27". Compacted from 27" what is the result on an expand hose? Is it enough? I dunno, I have zero stick time at the dump station. But, I am thinking the stations differ from place to place and having a short hose without reach could be a real bummer. Thoughts? What is the longest hose needed to ensure you can make the trip? 10' 15' 20' ? I want to be prepared, I don't want to have to ask to "Borrow" a hose...ewww. Wink
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 1:40pm
I don't think that model was available when I bought mine.  I believe I ordered one 61" long.  No sag that I could see.

I keep one length of hose in mine, with room to spare, and it has always been enough.  It might be the 10-footer.  I carry a 2nd length in the pass-through storage compartment and a male attachment to join it to the original if necessary, but I've never needed it (so it is still clean, which is why it is in the pass-through).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Podster

Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

The hoses are easy to cut.  Pack as much in the storage tube as you can an cut off the rest.

TT

True, but is that going to leave you with enough hose? I think the factory storage in like 27". Compacted from 27" what is the result on an expand hose? Is it enough? I dunno, I have zero stick time at the dump station. But, I am thinking the stations differ from place to place and having a short hose without reach could be a real bummer. Thoughts? What is the longest hose needed to ensure you can make the trip? 10' 15' 20' ? I want to be prepared, I don't want to have to ask to "Borrow" a hose...ewww. Wink

I don't know how long my hose was before I cut it or how long it is now.  It all fits in the original tube.  I might have cut off 4 feet, if that much.  I suspect that means I have 21 feet left.  Whatever it is, I have never yet had to expand it all the way to reach a dump station.  I only have about 2 years of experience with a camper with waste tanks, so I'm sure I could run across a dump station that was out of reach.  Some people have strange ideas and do odd things (there a post recently about a truck stop dump station that was installed by someone who was looking at the plans upside down and backwards and was just about unusable without 40 feet of hose), but dump stations have always been within about 4 feet of where I could pull up.  With black and grey dump gates, one may be 4 feet from the dump and the other might be 10 feet.  If you can't reach you can usually move or go to another dump station.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 8:17pm
OK well,  I am referencing the stock storage tube on my 178, it's 27" long. I have a 15' hose and just measured what would fit in the 27" factory tube. It turns out that if I cut it to fit into my current storage, I end up with a 10' hose. I wonder what kind of distance is typical for on site hookups? Are they typically right next to the pad?

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 8:51pm
A few points from my experience:

1. If a hose with both ends attached fits in the factory supplied 27" tube it's too short. You need both the end to connect to the trailer and the right angle screw adapter for the sewer pipe. Doesn't leave much room for hose.
  2. The 15' RhinoFlex kit fits in a 60" tube with enough extra room for a 45 degree elbow. The newer slide tube from DW Inc. works well.
  3. Install by drilling into the bottom of the frame members. Start with a 1/8" pilot hole and enlarge using a 3/16" drill. Use 1/4" (#14) stainless steel hex head screws. Be gentle when twisting them in. SS is brittle.  If you have a slide, try to avoid mounting the tube under the slide. Lots easier to access.
  4. The 15' length will suffice for most all sites. I've only found one site that I needed a longer hose. I bought a 10' RhinoFlex extension (after the trip) and haven't used it yet. Better to have it and not need it.............................
  5. Leave the factory supplied tube in place and use it for other things.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 9:49pm
I did the square post sewer hose mod just the other day.  You have to be careful not to get the 4X4 fence post covers, they aren't big enough. You have to get the larger post covers in lawn and garden section of  Lowes.  (I think they are 5"X5"X 8' for around $27).

The 1/4"x1" self tapping screws have a 3/8 hex head and cut a hole through the frame with no problem.   I previously measured the pod frame center to center so I new how far to space  holes to ensure I was going to hit the frame on both sides. I drilled four holes  large enough to allow a socket with an extension to pass through on the bottom side of the post. I wedged the post up against the frame with some 2X4's to get things straight and stable before drilling. I then placed a screw on the socket, place the socket through the hole, used a 1" flat fender washer and drove the screw home into the frame.

For one of the end caps (curb side) I used small sheet metal screws to hold it on permanently. The other end (road side) I drilled two holes on either side of the post, slipped a piece of 1/4" bungy cord through and knotted the ends on the inside. I drilled and mounted a drawer pull to the center of the cap for a handle. To secure the cap I simply pull the bungy over the cap and twist it around the knob. Works great.

I painted the post and caps black (strictly optional) before mounting and it took longer for the paint to dry than it did to cut and mount the assembly to the pod.  If you have any questions PM me and I can email some pics. There are some detail pictures already online if you look around.
The original designer of this modification had another great idea.  There is another part to the modification that is a nice touch. Lowes sells plastic spouting that slides into the post rather well. Simply cut to length and attached a wooden dowel or PVC pipe across the ends of the spouting as a handle and voila a drawer.  The Rhino hose, clear elbow, and other accessories fit nicely.  I can't take credit for any of this engineering,  someone else came up with the idea and it's a good one.  I thought about mounting another post to allow storage for other stuff like fishing rods, tent poles, outside string lights etc. Good luck with your project.
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 10:16pm
I appreciate you'all taking time to comment. It's now crystal clear to me that I need to do something. A 27" tube is worthless for sewer hose storage, except for maybe a small extension for the rare situation that calls for it. I, like everyone else, refuse to store the sewer hose inside the POD storage bay. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 5:01am
Originally posted by Markie

I did the square post sewer hose mod just the other day.  You have to be careful not to get the 4X4 fence post covers, they aren't big enough. You have to get the larger post covers in lawn and garden section of  Lowes.  (I think they are 5"X5"X 8' for around $27).

The 1/4"x1" self tapping screws have a 3/8 hex head and cut a hole through the frame with no problem.   I previously measured the pod frame center to center so I new how far to space  holes to ensure I was going to hit the frame on both sides. I drilled four holes  large enough to allow a socket with an extension to pass through on the bottom side of the post. I wedged the post up against the frame with some 2X4's to get things straight and stable before drilling. I then placed a screw on the socket, place the socket through the hole, used a 1" flat fender washer and drove the screw home into the frame.

For one of the end caps (curb side) I used small sheet metal screws to hold it on permanently. The other end (road side) I drilled two holes on either side of the post, slipped a piece of 1/4" bungy cord through and knotted the ends on the inside. I drilled and mounted a drawer pull to the center of the cap for a handle. To secure the cap I simply pull the bungy over the cap and twist it around the knob. Works great.

I painted the post and caps black (strictly optional) before mounting and it took longer for the paint to dry than it did to cut and mount the assembly to the pod.  If you have any questions PM me and I can email some pics. There are some detail pictures already online if you look around.
The original designer of this modification had another great idea.  There is another part to the modification that is a nice touch. Lowes sells plastic spouting that slides into the post rather well. Simply cut to length and attached a wooden dowel or PVC pipe across the ends of the spouting as a handle and voila a drawer.  The Rhino hose, clear elbow, and other accessories fit nicely.  I can't take credit for any of this engineering,  someone else came up with the idea and it's a good one.  I thought about mounting another post to allow storage for other stuff like fishing rods, tent poles, outside string lights etc. Good luck with your project.

grats on the mod, it's a good one!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>