R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConvection/microwave tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Convection/microwave tips
    Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 5:30pm
I have been looking at the microwave/convection manual that came with my 2015 181g.  Like the Forest River travel generic trailer manual it leaves a lot to be desired.  

States no metal in the microwave section, can I use metal I convection mode?
What about in grill mode, and what is grill mode?
Use the grill rack-should be for grilling, can also microwave in that mode....huh grill rack is metal...

Trying to plan first trip meals and I am confused.  Sure would be great if the booklet had some recipes to help me figure out how to use it.

Any tips, tricks and of course Favorite recipes for cooking?

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Whatmud

States no metal in the microwave section, can I use metal I convection mode? I'm no expert, but here it goes. My understanding is that you can never use metal in microwave mode, such is a traditional microwave and yes you can use metal in convection mode and grilling mode. However, if you are going use combo say Micro/grill, them the dish used must always be microwave safe (non-metal etc...).

What about in grill mode, and what is grill mode? I believe grill mode activates the large heating element located at the top of the over, kinda like broil in your traditional home oven. 

Use the grill rack-should be for grilling, can also microwave in that mode....huh grill rack is metal... No, I do not believe you can use the grill rack in microwave mode. 

I too am learning as this is my very first combination oven. To simplify it, I see the oven as having three separate cooking options that can be combined. 1. Traditional Microwave, all of the normal microwave rules apply. 2. The convection oven, which seems to be like a traditional oven, but better because it circulates the hot air and cooks more evenly and faster and is good for baking. 3. The grill mode that will activates the heat element at the top of the oven should be good for browning and some baking. 

Now since all of these modes are contained in one oven you can combine them as well. Like maybe taking a chicken and nuking it for 8 minuets, then hitting it some convection, and finally browning it up nicely on the outside with the grill mode. All of course in a microwave safe dish when, of course, a microwave dish would not be required if you were only using the convection /  grill combo. I'm going to follow this tread, I'm real curious to read what others have to say. I have been looking for a microwave combo oven cook book. Good luck and happy camping! Smile
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 6:37pm
Another example of the power of the combination oven: Let's say we wanted to cook a take and bake premium frozen pizza. You could nuke it for 2 min to thaw it and speed things up, then use convection oven mode to cook it at like 400 degrees for maybe 8 min. Then finish it off by throwing some browning on the top by grilling it for 2 min. All of course on a microwave safe dish. The trick, of course, is to discover what combination of cooking modes that you want to use. Once this is done, you can program the oven to carry out the sequence of cooking, automatically. 

Smile Or you could forego all of that and just bake it using convection mode on the grill or back rack, or maybe even a pizza stone. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Blue's Pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 8:14pm
There is a lady that has two youtube videos explaining using a Sharp Microwave/convection oven.  It was very helpful for me.  She even explains the different leveled tray that comes in your convection/ microwave oven and which elevated side you use for what.  Evidently the Sharp is similar to what we have in the Pod.

Here is a link for both of her videos.
Part One http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q-bJgKlVI0

Part Two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YF9DXr3lYQ
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Blue's Pod

There is a lady that has two youtube videos explaining using a Sharp Microwave/convection oven.  It was very helpful for me.  She even explains the different leveled tray that comes in your convection/ microwave oven and which elevated side you use for what.  Evidently the Sharp is similar to what we have in the Pod.

Here is a link for both of her videos.
Part One (microwave) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q-bJgKlVI0

Part Two (convection) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YF9DXr3lYQ

And here are parts 3 & 4:

Part Three (combination) http://youtu.be/aDomD1433ao

Part Four (broiling) http://youtu.be/gudCJaQwUYc

Disclaimer: I haven't verified that the Sharp & the m/w in the Pod work the same way.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
 Post Reply Post Reply