R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHi, potential R-Pod owner but...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi, potential R-Pod owner but...
    Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Luv2Q

Congrats!  .. on both the Tundra as well as the 179.  You should be ready to rock 'n roll!

Thank you. We're looking forward to some good memories traveling in the Pod. My wife is afraid of flying and with us approaching retirement age, I'm already semi-retired, in order to see what she wants to see requires something like the Pod.
SiberD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 8:47pm
Oh, and as an introductory,  wife and myself have only ever camped in tents or taken advantage of some pretty nice inn's that the state parks of Indiana have. A little camping down in Kentucky also.  Now that  I'm semi-retired we hope to do a lot more camping and state park visiting here on out. The Pod looks like a really nice way to do that.

If the kids end up at opposite sides of the country, this looks like a viable mode of transportation. Gotta take your time getting there, eh? ;) I'm going to be scouring the search mode here, and everywhere, on the maintenance and mods to these Pods!
NormanHill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:48pm
congratulations! As I've mentioned before here, plan on spending quite a bit of time at the dealers getting familiar with the trailer and I suggest insisting that they run everything for you, including making sure the water heater and fridge work on all fuels. It will help get you started and limit the return trips if something doesn't work.

tundra is decent size so you might not need an WD (weight distribution hitch) but definitely think about getting a sway contol bar. They are cheap and really make the tow more comfortable.

That's it for my unsolicited advice. Enjoy!
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:56pm
Even more congrats, then, on retirement being in your sights.  And Indiana looks like it has some awfully nice scenery.  When we picked up our Pod in Ohio, our return to TX took us through Indiana on the way to in-laws in MO.  Spent a lot of time on IN 46 (to get off the interstates for awhile).  Saw some nice camping areas .. Don't recall whether they were state or NFS.  Nice though.  It was early Oct so I think we were just ahead of most Fall colors.  Pretty country.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
SiberD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by NormanHill

congratulations! As I've mentioned before here, plan on spending quite a bit of time at the dealers getting familiar with the trailer and I suggest insisting that they run everything for you, including making sure the water heater and fridge work on all fuels. It will help get you started and limit the return trips if something doesn't work.

tundra is decent size so you might not need an WD (weight distribution hitch) but definitely think about getting a sway contol bar. They are cheap and really make the tow more comfortable.

That's it for my unsolicited advice. Enjoy!

Thanks! I know that we'll need at least a sway bar but I was thinking on a WDH also. Would one such as this also help with sway?

SiberD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 4:01pm
Nevermind, I found out that is an E2 that a bunch of ya'll use and are happy with.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 10:45pm
SiberD, see this post:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5494&PID=53442&title=rpod-178-newbies#53442
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
SiberD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 12:45pm
Picked up the 179 yesterday! A few observations....

-Man, this trailer sits low! Had to get a different longer shank  on the WDH to lower the ball to the correct height. The dealer suggested an axle lift kit but I went with the longer shank....for now.

- The trailer pulls really nicely with the E2 WDH that they installed. It was rather windy yesterday and most of the 2+ hour trip home was on an interstate with lots of semi traffic but the effects from both were negligent.

- I mainly had the truck in overdrive with the cruise set and the only time I had it looking for different gears was when I hit somewhat hilly terrain and then I disengaged the overdrive until it flattened out again. But on flat terrain the rig drove smoothly.Driving that way seemed not to make my gas mileage suffer as much as expected.

- I'm gonna need to lengthen my x-mas list considerably as really no accessories were thrown into the deal ;)

Just bought a cover for it so that I can protect it from ole man winter and will be anxiously awaiting spring. Oh, I took a video of the guy that showed us the features, how they worked, and testing what could be tested as they already winterized the unit.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 2:47pm
I needed the axle riser and the extended drop shank - even then it still sits slightly nose-up.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 3:08pm
Congrats on our 179!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179