R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Dome flimsy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Dome flimsy?
    Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 10:18pm
  During an July Pod trip on to the Beartooth Plateau (MT), my R-Dome offered merciful protection for three other parties and myself from the swarms of mosquitoes.  It was the first time I took the Dome out of the bag. However, in the course of the trip, the Dome ripped in several places: on the the netting which rests on the steps and in the left-hand, upper corner that attaches to the Pod.  The suction cups were of marginal use, so I rigged what you see in the picture.The rope rigging worked better than the cups, which have an annoying habit of popping off with the drastic temperature swings and winds common on the Plateau.  I ended taking the ripped Dome to a local tent-maker who sewed up the rips and sewed in patches of nylon ballistic cloth..  We'll see how that works next year.  It's -11F here this evening so there won't be any more podding for a few months.uploads/2390/domeaid.pdf

johnandwendee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 10:58pm
Hi S & C,

We are not responding to your R dome comment but we noticed that you have the same Rpod (179) as us and pull it with a similar vehicle...we pull with a Honda Pilot. We have been experiencing significant sway on Texas highways and wondered if you have experienced any sway at all? We have a sway bar which we have adjusted but it has not helped a lot.
Other than that....we are very pleased with our 179. Happy travels!

Wendee & John
John and Wendee
Bracebridge, Ontario
Canada
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 12:50am
I think Headcold has a 177.
As far as the r-dome, we have ours for over 4 years, no rips no zipper problems. We use it every time we camp.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Unclewillis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 2:06am
We recently put our R-dome and tent bed (176T) to the test in the rain. The dome and tent bed withstood an all day rain just fine. We played cards underneath the dome during the rain at night. No Leakes or drips what so ever. It was great. Then the front moved through and the temp dropped into the mid 30's and the wind went away. This led to conditions ripe for dew and fog. Once the dew settled on the dome it seemed to leak alot and everything was super saturated under the dome. Had to use a broom to knock of the water before the sun came up and it dried off.

Not a huge dilemma but I wanted to throw that out there.

Daddy, Mommy and Daughter.
BlackJack & Keno (boston Terriers)
Rpod 176T 2015
Nick:
ouR-pod
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 8:12am
Uncle Willis,

The dome didn't leak. It cooled faster than the more solid, and thermally stable things around it, and condensation formed on the dome fabric, inside, and out. Happens. Natural phenomena.
Shadow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 8:45pm
John and Wendee

Just read your post today Nov 20. We haven't had any trouble with sway and have pulled in some strong side/ head winds.  We have the resistance  sway bar fairly tight but not over done. 

I saw on an other post that someone had an accident with a Highlander due to sway that started on a downhill corner - a lot of discussion about using the brake controller to support driving thru.   

Shirley
S&C

2015 R-POD 179
2010 Toyota Highlander
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 9:40pm
John and Wendee:  

I used to pull the 177 with a Toyota 4-runner (currently towing with a Toyota Tundra) and had no sway problems in the highest of winds in the wide-open spaces where I live.  However, I used (and continue to use) an Equalizer hitch which kept the 4-Runner, with its relatively short wheel base, straight and level, now sway. http://www.equalizerhitch.com/  The Tundra with an appreciably longer wheel base, could probably tow without the sway/equalizer hitch and not suffer sway, but I always put on the Equalizer.

Headcold
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 9:41pm
I should have said "no sway" rather than "now sway."  We need an editing feature on this blog.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 9:54pm
Upper-right of each post, Post Options > Edit Post.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 7:30pm
Thanks.  Didn't know I could.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>