R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShopping experience and a question...or 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shopping experience and a question...or 2
    Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 6:08pm
4 weeks in the southern states summer a year ago, and the hottest temp we hit was 100, in Houston.  Mid-July.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
MissyBuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by techntrek

4 weeks in the southern states summer a year ago, and the hottest temp we hit was 100, in Houston.  Mid-July.

Houston in July. Only place to be is in air conditioning. 100 degrees + 150,000% humidity = misery.
Melissa (and Buck)
2015 RP 178 aka Podimus Minimus
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 8:15pm
It felt exactly like Baltimore!  Confused
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 11:13pm
Hopefully, there was a mighty compelling reason to be in ... Houston in ... July!  That's one of the very worst places to be then.  But Baltimore?  Haven't been there in the summer but sure liked it and the Chesapeake Bay area at other times of the year.  We have family in Salisbury and that's sure pretty country.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 1:48pm
We toured all the Gulf states and then all the states just above them, as far west as NM.  Glad I kept a high reserve of gas - at one point we didn't see a gas station or any other store for 2 1/2 hours in western TX.  I knew from prior experience to keep the tank above 1/2 once you cross the Mississippi.  So we were fine but there were several people on the side of the highway standing on the cab of their pickup trying to get a cell signal (which is obviously also a scarce resource out there).

We drove from New Orleans to Houston to see the space center, then out I-10 until we headed north into Carlsbad.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:14am
I purchased from Cheyenne Camping Center and so far I am getting good warranty service from my dealer. They have worked with Dometic to obtain a new fridge door and have referred me to several options within my area to get service. No problem here.  
If you buy out of town, my recommendation is to work issues back through your dealer. It has been my experience that they are there for continued support, after the sale. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 2:57pm
We purchased our Rpod from a very reputable and reliable dealer in Salt Lake City. They always treated us like royalty. They told us that during peak summer season they had to change their policy and only work on units purchased from them. They feel it's not fair for their customers to have to wait weeks for service because they're too busy with repairs on trailers and motor homes purchased somewhere else, and we appreciated their logic. They work on all other campers from October to March.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Kokopod

... They work on all other campers from October to March.

Sounds reasonable, so it's just a matter of finding a shop with some excess capacity. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Podster

Originally posted by Kokopod

... They work on all other campers from October to March.

Sounds reasonable, so it's just a matter of finding a shop with some excess capacity. 

Doesn't sound at all reasonable to me if it's a warranty issue.  For non-warranty, maybe.  If I'm on the road in June with a warranty issue, they're an authorized FR dealer, and they're going to tell me to come back, oh maybe around October?  And I'm then supposed to then hunt around BFE looking for a shop with some excess capacity?  Bullxxxx!  Now maybe it really does work that way but it stinks!  IMHO, of course. Just my 2 pesos' worth.  (Wow, sorry for the outburst .. Touched a nerve, I guess.)
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by MissyBuck

Hubs and I are shopping for an R-pod. We have found a very good deal on the model we want. The dealer is located in Iowa. I would prefer to shop locally, so I have contacted a few dealers here in TX within a couple hours drive. I talked to a salesman today that was explaining why he can't offer ANY type of discount or come even close to the package price we have found. In the conversation he proceeded to tell me (actually felt like a scolding) that Forest River only requires dealers to work on units that that dealer sells. In other words, that no one else will be required to do warranty work on the unit except for the dealer who sells it. What?! Is this true?

I am very much looking forward to owning our very own pod, but dealers make me wanna hurl. I wouldn't buy from the fella I talked to EVER and they all make me feel like I need a bath after talking to them. I guess what I'm most trying to wrap my head around is this policy by FR if it is true. Has anyone heard this before?

100% true... I bought from Couch's in Ohio, I live in Connecticut, and a dealer of R-Pods is 15 minutes from my house but was $3000+ more than Couch's. So i drove to Ohio, and towed the new Pod back.

Ended up having a water leak in the water heater (turned out to be a bad Heat Element gasket), but the local R-Pod dealer WOULD NOT touch it. Very abrupt , and matter of fact, "No, we do not have to service any RV we don't sell"... Couch's had to call around and find a Forest River dealer (40 minutes away) who would fix it. They did not sell R-Pods but were very good about doing the work (even though it took 2 attempts, and a lot of towed miles back and forth to get it done).
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>